My Build is acting Weird. Help!

bonamin

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hello. This is my first post ever in this Forum, and before I fire away, I would like to thank everybody for the Countless problems I was able to solve, after a simple Google search pointing to this forum. Thank you...!!!

Now. I recently upgraded my CPU / Motherboard to something more powerful, and I am experiencing a lot of issues. Some of them Very Strange. I will try to make everything clear so you can get the whole picture.

Old System Specs:

- Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
- Intel Core i7 3770 (non-K)
- MSI GTX 770 - 2GB
- 4x4 GB Patriot 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24
- ASUS Xonar D2/PM Sound Card
- G.Skill Phoenix PRO 120GB SSD ( OS + Frequently Used Programs )
- Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB Drive ( Program Files for non Frequent programs / Games )
- Thermaltake ToughPower 700W PSU ( 7 year old Veteran! )
- A lot of External Peripherals + 10TB of External Storage which have nothing to do with the main System.

The Upgrade was:

- A New Mobo. ( Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 )
- A New CPU. ( Intel Core i7 4790K )

ISSUE LIST BEGINES HERE:

- Ι installed everything, and the first problem I faced was an overheating CPU. Using various stress test programs, and monitoring the temperatures, voltage, and frequency, 2 seconds after the initiation of the Stress test, the CPU jumped to 99-100 Celsius, and it throttled to 2,5GHz.
I sent it back, and got a new one. I stressed the new CPU too, and it still rocks 95+ Celsius but passes Intel's CPU Diagnostic tool successfully, and keeps it's clock, at 4,3-4,4 GHz at all times.
These tests are performed using the STOCK COOLER. I DO have a Custom Liquid Cooling Setup, but I always test the rig with stock cooling. QUESTION 1: Are these Temperatures normal ?
( My Mobo shows 50-56C in the BIOS. ) ( I did try to Force 1,2 Volt with almost no effect )

- Moving On. I installed everything on the new machine, with the New replacement CPU they sent me, and when I tried to turn on the machine, I heard an electric noise. The one you hear when two wires touch. It came from the Power Cable of my SATA DVD Drive. I removed that, and the machine booted up perfectly. I installed the drivers and everything. After some hours, BOOM, the first BSOD. After the restart the computer was slow. I reformatted. And again. And again. 3 times.

After a lot of effort, swapping, Memmory testing It all comes down to this:

- When I plug in my Phoenix SSD, I cannot even boot Window's Installer.
- When I plug in an old Phoenix SSD ( a 40GB one ) form an old machine, I can install windows and it works perfectly. But if I attempt let's say 10 restarts, I get a No-bootable-disc error at 3-5 of them. I immediately restart and it works fine.
- At first the 700W PSU worked fine. Now when I use the 700W Thermaltake I can't boot. I can't even boot Mini Windows XP from a USB Stick. When I swap the PSU for a cheaper one I use on my second computer, it works perfectly. When I use the 700W PSU, and I change a setting in the BIOS and hit Save and Reset, my computer just shuts down and never restarts. That's weird..

Fun Facts:

- The 120GB SSD shows 100% Health and no SMART Errors, but I can't format it, even in my old machine. So that is probably Dead and needs replacement.
- The 700W Thermaltake which fails to work with my new setup, works fine on my old machine.
- The 40GB SSD that has issues on my new Setup works great on my old machine.
- I tried one more thing: Installing windows on my 1TB HDD Drive. And they run perfectly for like 2 days now, with no problems at restarts.

I am testing all these, with no external drives connected, no GPU ( Using onBoard ), no Sound Card, and with 2 RAM modules that I borrowed from a friend that work 100%.

Question 2: I can't understand wha't going on. Should I just buy a New SSD and PSU?
Or should I send my Motherboard back for a replacement ?

Question 3: How can the PSU work on my secondary machine and not on this one?
My secondary machine is this:

- GA-EP45-Extreme
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3,8GHz 27/4
- 2x2 GB 1066 MHz GEIL
- Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti
- G.Skill Phoenix PRO 40GB

It's not exactly an Atom machine. It does take some power. I even stressed it out for 1 hour and the PSU seemed to work perfectly. But the other machine does not accept it.

If I missed anything or you did not understand something ask me. There are so many things that happened that I need to write a book...! Sorry for the long post. ! :)

Solution
That motherboard is running pretty hot, motherboards usually average around 30-45 Degrees C. That being said it looks like the whole systems cooling is going to need some TLC or a redux if that doesn't help.

You should probably look into a new power supply. The older a power supply gets the more stretched its components become. This can lead to less power stability. Particularly at high temps. Any bronze rated PSU at 650W or more will cover your needs as is. As for the reason it works fine in the other machine I can't be entirely sure without it in my hands, but I can say the other machine has much lower power consumption and thus does not put as much stress on the PSU as your new one.

As for the SSD it may need replacement but start...
on the cpu temp issue if the stock cooler not on tight or you put new paste on it when the cpu was replaced there might not be any paste under the cooler to help move heat from the cpu to the intel stock cooler. my self I toss those coolers when I do builds and use larger air coolers with backplates. stay on better and do a better job of cooling. for the money the evo 212 not a bad cooler. on the second issue I think you may have shorted out the sata power pin on your ssd when you did this you may have zapped power supply and the ssd and the mb sata port. I would if there under warranty rma the ssd and mb. and pick up a newer haswell power supply.

bonamin

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
- I Checked and Re-Installed the Stock Cooler 3 Times using aftermarket Thermal Paste.

- The SATA Port on the Motherboard seems to work perfectly with the HDD Drive.

- The 120GB SSD is definitely going for a replacement.

Xibyth

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
That motherboard is running pretty hot, motherboards usually average around 30-45 Degrees C. That being said it looks like the whole systems cooling is going to need some TLC or a redux if that doesn't help.

You should probably look into a new power supply. The older a power supply gets the more stretched its components become. This can lead to less power stability. Particularly at high temps. Any bronze rated PSU at 650W or more will cover your needs as is. As for the reason it works fine in the other machine I can't be entirely sure without it in my hands, but I can say the other machine has much lower power consumption and thus does not put as much stress on the PSU as your new one.

As for the SSD it may need replacement but start with the power supply. An SSD is heavily reliant on a stable power supply, as they operate entirely on electronic control.

Solution