[SOLVED] My build is unstable whenever GPU is present

Jul 9, 2020
Hello. I assembled my first build yesterday after an afternoon riddled with issues trying to get it to run. When it finally did, I found it horribly unstable. Doing a bit of more troubleshooting, I found I had my network drivers out of date, and also that the system ran a lot better after I took out my GPU.
After I took it out, my system ran a lot smoother and I was able to test it by running Minecraft for a while in the highest graphics settings, if that helps. I tried to then connect the GPU back in, but the instability came back full force. I couldn't have Chrome open for much longer before I got bluescreened.
One thing that struck me as odd and maybe dangerous of the building process was that my PSU only provided a 6 + 2 pin PCI-E connector (or rather two but I only have one GPU so) for my 6 pin video card. I didn't read anything for or against this online so I connected them anyway, leaving the four extra pins hanging. Maybe the GPU isn't getting enough power?
In any case, here's my build's specs:
  • MOTHER: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WIFI
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon iGPU
  • GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 1650 Super Gaming X
  • RAM: 1x HyperX Fury 16GB 2666MHz RGB (DDR4)
  • PSU: EVGA 500W BR 80+ Bronze
  • HDD: Seagate Skyhawk 1TB
  • SDD: Western Digital Green 240GB
  • CASE: Sentey J20 (has four 12mm LED fans)
I have updated all my drivers and my BIOS as well (as I understand it version F50 should be the latest but if it isn't let me know). I also temporarily disabled the iGPU from the BIOS before it was automatically turned back on again after I removed the GPU for testing.
Please note that I don't have a monitor right now, but I should be receiving one within the week so if you have any tentative solution or suggestion please let me hear it and I'll try it as soon as I can.
If it helps, I tested my build by connecting the motherboard or the GPU, whenever it was present, to my TV via HDMI, at a resolution of 1920x1080.
I also checked the temperature of the components with the BIOS and they never exceeded 30C.
In any case, any help is immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance.
EDIT: Typos and got the numbers of pins wrong.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi again! It seems the issue has been resolved now. The two exposed PCI-E pins on the GPU connector were covered with a thin layer of tape, which was messing with the ground wires within. Took the tape out and it's running flawlessly!
Jul 9, 2020
Hi again! It seems the issue has been resolved now. The two exposed PCI-E pins on the GPU connector were covered with a thin layer of tape, which was messing with the ground wires within. Took the tape out and it's running flawlessly!

Solution