Question My build issues

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
So, me and my friend were making good progress on the build. I am taking the graphics card (Founders Edition GTX 1070), 8x2 GB RAM @ 2133 mhz, and my 1 TB harddrive from my prebuilt computer I purchase a few years ago and putting them onto a new Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 5 WIFi with a new Ryzen 5 3600x. The prebuilt worked perfectly fine before this. We have installed everything into the new case, and tried to turn it on. It turned on and was running fine, but the screen wouldn't display, and the motherboard wasnt showing the lights that its suppose to show. So we moved everything back to the perfectly working prebuilt computer just to see if anything messed up, and now that motherboard let's everything run fine; but again, it won't show a display. I dont quite understand what's going on here. I thought maybe the new mobo was broken, but if this has happened to the first one too, then I have no clue. CPU running, RAM shouldn't be at fault as it worked hours before doing this, GPU Fan and lights turn on, as was also working before this. And same for everything else.

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
An x470 motherboard requires a new bios to support a 3600x. You need an old cpu to update the bios.

Btw 2133mhz will cripple ryzens performance.
I do plan on upgrading RAM in the future. The cpu issue might explain the issue with the new motherboard, but what about the old motherboard? Will the motherboard not boot up to bios without having a older amd processor?

Last edited:
I do plan on upgrading RAM in the future. The cpu issue might explain the issue with the new motherboard, but what about the old motherboard? Will the motherboard not boot up to bios without having a older amd processor?
No, it unfortunately won't. In order to use a newer CPU, you need to update the BIOS. And in order to update the BIOS, you need an older CPU. If you know anyone who has an older AM4 CPU (friends, colleagues, family etc) like the previous Ryzen CPUs, then you can try to borrow that to update the BIOS.