My Build using MSI M7 x470 AC board gets red indicator but no fans, no boot

Dec 24, 2018
Howdy,
I bought the MSI M7 x470 AC motherboard in large part because it has an onboard power/reset switch and a 2 decimal diagnostic readout indicator that is supposed to display all sorts of information upon booting. I've installed a brand new Ryzen 2600 with stock cooler, new Corsair 2x8 RAM and plugged in power to the CPU and the MB. All I get is a red indicator light near the "Game Boost" knob and power/reset buttons - no fans, no diagnostic read out and no diagnostic lights at the RAM slots that are supposed to indicate the Ram is seated well.

I've reseated everything several times. I tested the older Corsair 430 W power supply I was using on another board and it worked fine. I used a newer Corsair 650W power supply and still got only the same red light. I don't think the color red is significant because it is the color scheme of the LEDs on the board according to documentation and it seems to simply indicate that there is some power going to the board.

I did go ahead and put it in a video card, usb stick with Linux Mint 19.1 and a keyboard but still only the red light. I don't know that this is important but I am doing all of this without a case which is not arriving for a couple of days. I did run a power switch connector from my other desktop computer to try starting it using the front panel jumpers but still only a red light.

I was expecting to at least see the CPU fan run (Which is also plugged in properly) and some kind of diagnostic information but . . .. . only remain frustrated.

Update: I added two more troubleshooting steps from this troubleshooting link that I had not tried - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html
1) - cleared the CMOS and 2) trying individual RAM sticks in different slots. No luck.

Any suggestions before I give up and return this to Amazon?

Dec 24, 2018

The thing is - I have an old Radeon 4850 that boots to windows fine so no I did not reseat the CPU. I even called MSI hoping a BIOS setting would help but they were no help at all after suggesting all of the troubleshooting methods I already tried.