my comp keeps going Off the minute i over work it..

daebis

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
hi,
i have a
Graphic card EVGA 320 8800GTS
MotherBoard GIGABYTE GA-P35C
CPU INTEL E6600 2.4G
2 GB kingston ram
2 HDD 250 GB and a 160 GB
2 Dvd roms..

I have a 500w power supply,

On installing it did not come on, i had to shake the 24 pin plug , finally it came on.

But if i perform say a search, play music and maybe try and copy a cd all together my comp goes off..

And if i shut down , it shuts down but automatically re-starts..

i have no clue , my previous machine had a 1.4 pentium4, with 1 gb rdram, asus mobo, and it kind of outperforms my latest machine when it comes to performing multi tasks, ...

Any advice would be great...

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What make/model PSU? If it cost less than $50 it will be cr*p. Check all the pins in the power plug to the motherboard are fully engaged. If you give vigorous wiggle and pull on lead to motherboard power connector it shold NOT come loose. If it does, was not correctly engaged. Are PCI-e power connector(s) fitted to graphics card? Disable 'Restart on error' in XP. Check Event Viewer for errors!

Mike.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
As pointed out, your PSU sounds like the culprit, but also check your bios settings and cpu temps. Make sure your HSF is seated properly, and that your bios power options are configured properly.

daebis

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
my pwoer supply is ,
zebronics platinum series, zeb 500w 24 pin.

It did get spoilt the first month i bought it,..
and instead of replacing , the dealer repaired it and gave it back,
but i always had a little problem since then,

and on installing the new stuff,
1. first the comp did not come on, after shaking the 24 pins ( which were locked properly), it did come on...
BUT the CPU FAN would start after 7 seconds, but it does, BUT what i have noticed it, it stutters before starting, sometimes rotates very slowly, but eventually gets going ..

connectors on graphic cards r connected..

have no clue.
Even if i switch it on and then i go through the normal shut down, instead of staying off... It goes off but come back on a second later on its own..

http://www.zebronics.net/powersupplies.asp ( THE ZEB 500 W platinum series is the model)

I looked around alittle bit to find the specs on your psu. Now, Im not slamming your psu, but on the webite at zebronics, it didnt even give the specs on the psu. Thats not good, tho I did find a lil snippet here http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/forum/printtopic.jsp?subsection=&pt=1&topic_id=8592&forum_id=1333 It seems it goes around 17 amps per rail, which is way weak for that gpu and 2 HDDs. You should get something that gives at least 30 amps COMBINED to the 12 volt rail, and I dont mean max, like 17 = 17 = 34. 17amps, thats max per rail, not max for all rails

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Getting your money back would be a good start....

daebis

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
hehehe,
thanks but in india it does not work like that.. no money back just max a replacement for the same or a repair...

Coul dyou suggest me a particular power supply that i should buy, best possible for the lowest price... thanks,
i'll replace it and get one from the US , my bro is coming back next week.

daebis

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
no tech stores here in India, but i can buy from the US, say newegg, tigerdirect , please suggest me a good but resonably priced PSU..