[SOLVED] My computer always stutters when I play games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 5, 2020
my computer struggled when i was trying to play recent games due to the fact i have quite a dated pc with dated components. i upgraded my gtx 950 to a gtx 1070 8gb yet whenever i play the newer games it stutters, i cant play the new cod and can't run star wars battlefront 2 without it stuttering. Also when i do play games that seem to stutter discord works poorly and i often cuts out communications to who I'm speaking to breifly. I think it may be a hard drive problem as in task manager my hard drive is often at 100%. How can i solve this problem? what needs upgraded?
i have :
8GB ram ddr4
intel core i 5-6400
gtx 1070 8GB

Solution
So if i do get an SSD and 8gb more ram, can i just have them in addition to my current hard drive and 8 gb of ram or will I need to buy 2x8gb ram and replace my current hard drive with the SSD?
Yes, you can add the SSD to your system without replacing the hard drive.
As for the ram, I, and no one else can give you a concrete answer on adding/mixing it because it's such a shot in the dark.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When it doesn't, all you lose is more time and money.
16GB is still very big amount of RAM today. I don't know if 16 GB is neccessary. It's not known if a Game always reads HDD for files to use, or writes them into RAM. That much RAm could be standing still, without action.
OwenDocherty, It's worth looking how much you use when biggest game is loaded.
It doesn't have to be 16GB that is required it just has to be >8GB