Question My computer boots to bios before I have installed anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2019
I just upgraded my computer and it is almost completely brand new and after tons of issues I swapped parts and fixed everything. However, now it is just booting to BIOS. It recognizes my USB (has windows installer on it) but never boots on it. It is top on priority and has default settings, but I just can't get it to the windows installer stage. Please help.

Specs:
Windows 10
i5-9600k
16GB DDR4 ram
Asus Prime z-390p motherboard
gtx 970
750w PSU

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
The case has four USB ports in the front. two black and two blue
Perfect i would start by trying to plug the usb in a different port or possibly one of the ones on the BACK of your pc. then power on your pc and see what happens , the only other issue maybe that the windows installation is corrupt on the usb stick. can you take a picture of your boot priority?

May 16, 2019
Perfect i would start by trying to plug the usb in a different port or possibly one of the ones on the BACK of your pc. then power on your pc and see what happens , the only other issue maybe that the windows installation is corrupt on the usb stick. can you take a picture of your boot priority?

no luck, the back i/o still put me into bios

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
So by that screenshot there you don't have any recognizable Drives to install windows on. i would double check all your sata/power connectors because that is a major issue , you cannot install windows without a drive to install it on.

May 16, 2019
So by that screenshot there you don't have any recognizable Drives to install windows on. i would double check all your sata/power connectors because that is a major issue , you cannot install windows without a drive to install it on.

So what you're saying is that there is nowhere to store windows, right? Where would I look to find the poorly-plugged in SATA cable. I would assume there are specific cables that deal with drivers. And how could u tell from the picture? Just so I can learn for myself.

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
So what you're saying is that there is nowhere to store windows, right? Where would I look to find the poorly-plugged in SATA cable. I would assume there are specific cables that deal with drivers. And how could u tell from the picture? Just so I can learn for myself.
Usually they are Red or Black and look like this:
7-pin-sata-to-sata-serial-ata-data-cable.jpg

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
And double check the power plugs as well should be the plug right beside it . Is this a custom build or is it a pre built? Also are you doing save and exit in the bios and it brings you right back , no purple windows 10 install screen or anything like that at all just looping to bios?

May 16, 2019
Usually they are Red or Black and look like this:
7-pin-sata-to-sata-serial-ata-data-cable.jpg

And double check the power plugs as well should be the plug right beside it . Is this a custom build or is it a pre built? Also are you doing save and exit in the bios and it brings you right back , no purple windows 10 install screen or anything like that at all just looping to bios?

I checked the Sata cables, they are 100% in there tightly. Although I do have them in ports 3 and 4. It is custom built. I am doing the save and exit, and no windows 10 at all, just straight bios, save and exit then back to bios, and so on.

hazey123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
Ok what you need to do is go into ADVANCED MODE ------->Advanced------->PCH Storage Configuration--------->SATAMODE Selection -------ACHI should be selected.

Then scroll down and you should see all the drives plugged into your mobo if you do not, you need to replug them in and make sure the power cabled a correctly plugged in as as well. This should Fix it all. If not you may have a issue you your SATA controller which would be a RMA on that mobo.

May 16, 2019
Ok what you need to do is go into ADVANCED MODE ------->Advanced------->PCH Storage Configuration--------->SATAMODE Selection -------ACHI should be selected.

Then scroll down and you should see all the drives plugged into your mobo if you do not, you need to replug them in and make sure the power cabled a correctly plugged in as as well. This should Fix it all. If not you may have a issue you your SATA controller which would be a RMA on that mobo.

Ok, I did exactly what you said and all of it is there. Save changes and reset?

May 16, 2019

Nope, I saved and exited, and I still got returned to bios. This thing does not wana let me past bios....

Status
Not open for further replies.