My computer cant boot from cd even if its bootable..

beka1121

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
i am using a bootable cd but my computer will not boot to cd so i can not reformat..please help i need it asap. thanks

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
At startup, did it ask you to press any key to boot from cd. That's what it usually does.

Is it the original cd you are using or a copy? Try another bootable cd see if that works.

I don't know what level of experience you are so I guess we have to check the basics first :)

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
couple of things to check.

Is the drive faulty, has it been reading other disks ok recently?
Is the drive a CD drive and the boot disk a DVD?

May be stupid things to check but i've seen stupid things many times.

UbuntuLoverParker

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, I Have A Simlar Or Same Problem On My Hp Pavillion dv 5000, the cd drive works my computer just wont boot from it for some odd reason i also noticed that on the bios (or the boot order) that theres a ! mark next to the cd drive. and when i press esc on startup (opens boot menu so you dont have to change the boot order) the cd drive is not on the list, i dont know why. the disk works on other computers.

seogoat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I also had a similar problem where linux wouldn't boot the CD. It turned out that the problem was that the dvd rw was plugged into the sata 3 and would not work. After switching to sata 2 port it worked.

TRENDING THREADS