My computer can't detect any of my external hard drives?

kjellderksen

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
I recently bought a new gaming computer, but none of my external hard drives are detected by my computer. I have no idea what the problem is, because my old computer recognizes the drives without problem.
The drives are a Medion Drive-n-go 2,5" USB drive (+/- 300Gb) and an ADATA Classic CH94 USB drive. Both drives are without problem detected and read by my old computer (win. 10 pro) but when I plug them into my new computer (win. 10 pro) I don't get any message that there is a drive plugged in. In neither Device manager or Disc manager does the drives show up. The Medion drive has a blue light that turns on when I plug it in, but no sound is hearable. What could the problem be?

Solution
In that case, I believe you should contact the MOBO's Support and explain all the things you've tried. The guys over there should be able to help out.

Have you updated your BIOS? You could consider that. Yet, it would be nice to check the Support first.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there kjellderksen,

Is the hard drive even spinning up?
In case it is not, you can try the USB ports on the back of the computer case. (could be a power related issue)
In case it is powering up, then my suggestion would be to go to the MOBO's website and update all the drivers. (see if there are USB 3.0 ones)

Hope this will help,

kjellderksen

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Thanks for answering to the problem I have! The MOBO is an ASROCK X58 Extreme, which has win7 drivers as the latest drivers. Could that be the problem? The MOBO in my old computer was an Intel H61 Express (win8 drivers as the latest). When I plug it in in the back of my new computer, the blue light turns on and the drive makes a ticking noise about every 1.5sec. I've read that this means the drive is dead, but it still works flawlessly with my other pc and my laptop so I doubt that this would be the case... My old pc didn't have 3.0 ports, and neither does my new one.

Thanks for your suggestion,
Kjell

The fact that the hard drive is not even powering up properly, is not really a good sign. Externals could make clicking/ticking noises when there is not enough power supplied.

Do you have one of those Y type of USB cables? So you can plug the drive in with a cable that draws power from two USB ports?
What happens when you plug the flash drive in the ports on the back? Is it recognized by Disk Management, Device Manager?

kjellderksen

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
I tried connecting it using one of those splitted 2 usb cables but it gave the same result :(
On my laptop and old pc I had no problems with the drive using only the original cable which had only one usb plug so I am clueless...

In that case, I believe you should contact the MOBO's Support and explain all the things you've tried. The guys over there should be able to help out.

Have you updated your BIOS? You could consider that. Yet, it would be nice to check the Support first.

Cheers,

Solution