[SOLVED] My computer case is suddenly electrically charged.

FireDistinguisher

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Sooo a few months ago my computer case randomly started electrocuting my leg if it was touching it. I actually thought the sensation was my hair being pulled or something, but I realized what it actually was a few weeks ago. I ignored it for a while, as I have no idea why this would happen, and a quick google search makes it sound like I would have to do a lot of trouble shooting to find and fix the problem, but the electric shocks are quite unpleasant now. If I touch a case screw, I get a strong shock and the silver part of my earbud shocks me too... which is weird, because it doesn't even look metal. I plugged my pc into an outlet in another room, and I'm experiencing the same thing. I also switched surge protectors and nothing there as well. I read on another thread that someone found exposed pins on their corsair H80i and wrapping them in electrical tape fixed it, but I didn't see anything exposed on my H80i.

Solution
Looks like the electrical service and outlet is OK. That alone should make you feel good.
Next up would be the PSU or its power cable. Most likely the PSU. Do you have another power cable you can test with? Borrow one from a friend?

If the issue were internal to the PC itself, I wouldn't think you'd feel anything. The highest voltage in the PC is 12VDC. I personally can't feel that, but I may be less sensitive than you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Power supply? Might have a grounded line conductor.

Is your residence in the US? If so... Is the electrical service properly wired? Are the elec. outlets in your place grounded? Get one of these inexpensive testers and see what the condition of the elec. outlet is. That will at least narrow things down.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like the electrical service and outlet is OK. That alone should make you feel good.
Next up would be the PSU or its power cable. Most likely the PSU. Do you have another power cable you can test with? Borrow one from a friend?

If the issue were internal to the PC itself, I wouldn't think you'd feel anything. The highest voltage in the PC is 12VDC. I personally can't feel that, but I may be less sensitive than you.

Solution