My computer crashes loud buzz from psu fans spin very rapidly

paddy16

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
My first build
I have had this pc for about a mont and it has worked great until about three days ago

The problem : I run a game like rainbow six siege on the very high settings and the game used to work great but now it crashes whenever I try to load into a game the screen goes black and the fans spin very quickly and before the crash I hear a loud buzz from my psu I believe

Please help

Pc specs
Graphics card: asus GeForce GTx 1070
CPU: intel i7 6700k
CPU fan: corsair c7
Motherboard: msi z270 sli plus
RAM: gskill tridentz rgb
Psu: evga 650w 80+ gold eco

Solution

If you are sure that the noise is coming from the PSU, it should likely be replaced. At least test with a different one to see the difference.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
It could also be coming from the graphics card, but the PSU is a definite possibility.

Did your game crash at some point and then this kept happening? I would first try doing a clean uninstall with Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode and then reinstall your recommended driver package (disconnect network while doing this).

If that doesn't help, I would suspect that the PSU is faulty. You could try to make it happen on purpose and figure out for sure where the sound is coming from.

paddy16

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Hi thanks for replying so quickly the noise is coming from the psu I am almost certain like practically 100% I have done it on purpose to single it out and I hear a noise start up and everyrime I hear that I know it's going to crash and it always does but it has worked fine for the past month but I have only installed the drivers for the pc recently ifypu could help further that would be great

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

If you are sure that the noise is coming from the PSU, it should likely be replaced. At least test with a different one to see the difference.

Solution