Question My computer crashing which is it? GPU, CPU, HDD?

PeteA24

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
So basically this is how it happened. My screen (during a video game) would flicker then freeze and music in the background would stop...so total disruption. Basically happens again a few more times over a few days.

Now it starts up and I hear the welcome screen and its black screen. This would mean GPU btw right?

Very important things to note: this all started when I did updates on GPU and windows, so I can try to play COD warzone (which i reinstalled several times because i kept crashing every 20 seconds but with a functional cpu still afterwards)

PeteA24

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Since my cpu won't start anymore, I'll go off memory. I think its z87 pro Asus. I5 Intel 4670 3.2 or 3.4 the quad core. Nividia 780 to geforce 3gb.... windows 10 update # 1903? I think I forget, however it started with 19.

Feb 17, 2020
I just lost a motherboard that did the very same thing your's is doing (not saying that's what it is) It could be the gpu or the board even your psu. Do you have any spare gear or is that your only computer?

Reactions: PeteA24

PeteA24

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
I just lost a motherboard that did the very same thing your's is doing (not saying that's what it is) It could be the gpu or the board even your psu. Do you have any spare gear or is that your only computer?
Only CPU. But I removed gpu and used onboarding integrated graphics, its really bad:(

PeteA24

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
So I updated my computer (windows 10 update and nvidia driver) and my computer first stayed on till I played a game. When I was playing, it first flickered then froze completely (entire cpu, I know because my music stopped). After which... my computer started giving me a black screen whenever I restarted my computer (I'd hear the welcome screen musical tune).

So I took out my GPU and started using my integrated inboard graphics and it worked. So this means it's my GPU, but my temperature were without fine... didn't even go past 50 Celsius ever... and I even tried uninstalling the updates (I'm not sure if I did it correctly)

But now I'm at a stage where I'm trying to fix this GPU... I cleaned the dust off, I opened it up and wiped it down with alcohol wipes and will even try getting thermal paste to reapply it, but before I do.... I was hoping someone to tell me what I can try doing before going the very last route of putting my GPU in an insertion oven to restore "flow". Thanks for reading... my computer build is under for reference.

4670 Intel 3.4 ghz.
780 ti nvidia gigabyte geforce HTC
1000 watt corsair psu
Water cooler for cpu corsair
Z 87 pro Asus motherboard