My computer doesnt recognize when i turn off my second monitor

Alexz0r

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
So I remember before when I had my TV hooked up to my computer, and when i turned off my TV my PC would recognize it and disable second display (now I can drag my mouse to the right and it will go there as if i had my TV on).

The reason I want this is because i want to duplicate my screen to my TV, but that means I can only have 60Hz (not 120) on both monitors. So when i turn off my TV i want my monitor to go back to 120Hz. If you need to know im using HDMI from my TV to a hdmi->dvi adapter into my graphics card.

Sorry if my text is bad (swedish).

Thanks in advance!

It may be because you are using an adapter between the card and the tv. A direct connection may solve the issue. I have a similar setup but I have HDMI out from my card into a DVI adapter which plugs into the tv and it won't recognize changes either. When I connect directly into my other tv using the hdmi cable it detects changes like on and off or unplugged immediately. If you have to use an adapter you may be stuck with just having to right click the desktop and change settings each time.

I don't understand though why you need to change your monitor frequency at all. There should be no reason the monitor can't be at 120hz and the tv at 60hz at the same time. They don't have to be at the same frequency and in fact shouldn't be.

Alexz0r

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

It seems to be that I can only have different frequencies when i extend my desktop between the both screens, but not when I want to duplicate them, then it will limit both monitors to 60Hz.

Do you think a mini-hdmi > hdmi adapter on my graphics card would have the same issue? Or maybe there are mini-hdmi > hdmi cables available so I dont need an adapter.