[SOLVED] My computer fans run max speed non stop

Nov 30, 2020
Help me guys, this problem is driving me crazy.
The other day, when I was gaming, my computer fans began to run at max speed, but then it keep running like that, even after restarting my computer. They just go straight to max speed after I push power button like doing intense task even when idling. I tried blowing dust, updating gpu driver, updating bios, setting fan speed in bios and in msi afterburner, but nothing changed. My cpu and gpu temperature are about 37-40 celsius. It appears that my cpu fan is about 1300rpm, and gpu fan is about 3500rpm.
Here's my pc info:
Cpu: Intel i5-4460
Gpu: Radeon rx-470
Mobo: msi b85m-e45
The main fan is 4 pins, idk about the others around the pc.

Update: The loud source is my gpu fan, while it running at max speed, it appear 0 RPM on driver software and HW Monitor

Update 2: Problem solved! It was the sensor cable in the fan broken or something. I took my GPU to the store and they changed another fan for me. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Solution
You cannot control GPU fans on motherboard BIOS.
If the GPU fans are at full speed in BIOS and in Safe Mode and Radeon Software or MSI Afterburner are not detecting the speed ...then the sensors or the GPU have failed.
You could try replacing the fans.
Nov 30, 2020

If you get into the BIOS, are the GPU fans at full speed?
I don't think is the CPU, since 1300rpm is not that high.
It could be a failed GPU fan sensor or the GPU itself is failing.

Yep, it's gpu fans, I just checked it. And yes, the fans just go full speed from the moment I press power button, even in bios. But I can't change it's speed in msi afterburner

Last edited:

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Sorry to hear of this. It should maybe be controlled by bios settings for fan speeds or by fan software in windows. When I first build pc motherboard came with so much the bloatware it was so bad. Those also had fan settings and have been removed from pc. Does not endear asus for me. Maybe you had something similar that creating the conflict.

Reactions: khanhdeptrai
Nov 20, 2020
If you get into the BIOS, are the GPU fans at full speed?
I don't think is the CPU, since 1300rpm is not that high.
It could be a failed GPU fan sensor or the GPU itself is failing.
What if I can not control CPU fan via BIOS, no matter what mode I set, silent - standard - performance - full speed, the fan always runs at same speed

Latest posts