[SOLVED] My computer feels like it's underperforming.

Feb 5, 2019
My full build is:
MSI Tomahawk b450
Ryzen 5 1600 AF
EVGA 550W 80+ gold
Asus Nividia GeForce RTX 3060 ROG STrix v2 overclocked triple fan 12gb
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO SL 32gb ram kit (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
Samsung EVO 860 500gb SSD

The problem that I'm encountering is that I'll get around 120-140 fps in games like World Of Warcraft and PUBG, but it will still be a little bit stuttery. I ran a cpu stress test and after 5 minutes the CPU got to 85 degrees and the pc shut off, however when I play games I don't see more than mid 60 degrees to maybe like 72, so I don't know if I'm thermal throttling or what's going on here. I've checked drivers, I've tried reinstalling them, Using DDU driver uninstaller for a complete reset, and then finally I've resorted to a complete factory reset of my computer and still no luck. I was making the guess that it may be my CPU cooler, my case fans, or both. I came to check here first to see if I'm on the right track as to why it may be performing like this. Nothing runs at 100% when this happens, and GPU is usually really low usage, anywhere from like 2-4%.

To add to it when I'm on games like PUBG I also don't have a consistent 120-140, sometimes it will drop to like 70-90 fps and it's pretty glitchy. I also don't know if this affects anything, but my PSU is from 2016 so it is a little older.

Last edited:
Solution
It does run games that aren't as hard to run pretty good like League of Legends but still at times has micro stutter. I would also like to know if the ryzen 5 5600x would be a good choice or if I should bite the bullet and go with the ryzen 7 5800x? My question really is will I be good for a while with the 5600x or is it worth the money for the 5800x?

Far as my knowledge go, theres almost no way to play any kind of games without micro stutters every now and then, specially online games that depends on an internet connection.

Also, game engines are not perfect, and your computer is always runing some bakcgound task, either you want it or not.

You can try to reduce stutters all you can, but far as I can tell, is imposible to...
My full build is:
MSI Tomahawk b450
Ryzen 5 1600 AF
EVGA 550W 80+ gold
Asus Nividia GeForce RTX 3060 ROG STrix v2 overclocked triple fan 12gb
Corsair Vengance RGB PRO SL 32gb ram kit (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
Samsung EVO 860 500gb SSD

The problem that I'm encountering is that I'll get around 120-140 fps in games like World Of Warcraft and PUBG, but it will still be a little bit stuttery. I ran a cpu stress test and after 5 minutes the CPU got to 85 degrees and the pc shut off, however when I play games I don't see more than mid 60 degrees to maybe like 72, so I don't know if I'm thermal throttling or what's going on here. I've checked drivers, I've tried reinstalling them, Using DDU driver uninstaller for a complete reset, and then finally I've resorted to a complete factory reset of my computer and still no luck. I was making the guess that it may be my CPU cooler, my case fans, or both. I came to check here first to see if I'm on the right track as to why it may be performing like this. Nothing runs at 100% when this happens, and GPU is usually really low usage, anywhere from like 2-4%.

To add to it when I'm on games like PUBG I also don't have a consistent 120-140, sometimes it will drop to like 70-90 fps and it's pretty glitchy. I also don't know if this affects anything, but my PSU is from 2016 so it is a little older.
Generation gap, there are 3 more generations of Ryzen after that one, each with 15-20% more than previous. Playing at 1080p is mostly CPU bound so that 3060 has little to do. An R5 5600(x) would do wonders.

CountMike its probably right on the nail. Altough I think its only 2 more gens, cause the "AF" model was a zen+ with old naming. Unless you count the Ryzen 7 5800X3D as sorta "new" gen, then you have those 3 more gens.

Anyways, your issues could be due to CPU limiting performance, and/or internet connection/gaming engine.

Feb 5, 2019
So even if my cpu isn't running anywhere
CountMike its probably right on the nail. Altough I think its only 2 more gens, cause the "AF" model was a zen+ with old naming. Unless you count the Ryzen 7 5800X3D as sorta "new" gen, then you have those 3 more gens.

Anyways, your issues could be due to CPU limiting performance, and/or internet connection/gaming engine.

So even if my cpu isn't anywhere near 100% (more like 45-50%). It can still be my cpu?

So even if my cpu isn't running anywhere

So even if my cpu isn't anywhere near 100% (more like 45-50%). It can still be my cpu?

Sadly yes, because most games (if not all) target 1 main core, and if that core isn't fast enough it does not matter if you are 100% or 35% usage.

You could try other games, single player, with no internet connection and see how it go.

Feb 5, 2019
Sadly yes, because most games (if not all) target 1 main core, and if that core isn't fast enough it does not matter if you are 100% or 35% usage.

You could try other games, single player, with no internet connection and see how it go.

It does run games that aren't as hard to run pretty good like League of Legends but still at times has micro stutter. I would also like to know if the ryzen 5 5600x would be a good choice or if I should bite the bullet and go with the ryzen 7 5800x? My question really is will I be good for a while with the 5600x or is it worth the money for the 5800x?

Far as my knowledge go, theres almost no way to play any kind of games without micro stutters every now and then, specially online games that depends on an internet connection.

Also, game engines are not perfect, and your computer is always runing some bakcgound task, either you want it or not.

You can try to reduce stutters all you can, but far as I can tell, is imposible to get ride of it completly.

Also LoL is not a good game to check what I meant up there in my last post, becuase it really, really old. At 1080p (like CountMike already wrote) any of those games will be completely CPU limited.

Be sure to run your RAM kit in dual channel (you probably are, but it does not hurt to write it anyways).

A 5600X or 5800X, should help with stutter.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Feb 5, 2019

You can try to reduce stutters all you can, but far as I can tell, is imposible to get ride of it completly.

Also LoL is not a good game to check what I meant up there in my last post, becuase it really, really old. At 1080p (like CountMike already wrote) any of those games will be completely CPU limited.

Be sure to run your RAM kit in dual channel (you probably are, but it does not hurt to write it anyways).

A 5600X or 5800X, should help with stutter.

This is my last question, so you would say that if I am experiencing inconsistent fps from this issue (like anywhere from 70 fps to 140) that it's more than likely my cpu?

This is my last question, so you would say that if I am experiencing inconsistent fps from this issue (like anywhere from 70 fps to 140) that it's more than likely my cpu?

No one in this forum is in front of your computer, or knows the whole list of software you are runing, or can tell how good or bad your IPS is.

But from what you described and the hardware that you have, the CPU could be one of the factors for such stutter.

Considering your current GPU (RTX 3060), we can have a good guess that the CPU is most likely limiting the performance (at 1080p) on those "simple" online multiplayer games.

Things to keep in mind:

1. Make your system run a little bit cooler, add or move the fans around so you can create a decent airflow that ensure fresh air in and hot air from the components out. We don't know what Case you have but a CPU reaching 85° when stressed and shutting down is because the Case does not have decent ariflow, and or your cooler is not good enough (probably stock one). Having good airflow inside your system is always welcome to get the best performance out of your components. (I don't think temperature is the issue here, but its worth to this in mind)

2. If you go the CPU upgrade path, remember to check first if your motherboard is compatible, and that you have the right BIOS installed.