Question My computer freezes/crashes when gaming

May 8, 2022
So the title says most of it but basically when im gaming, for example gta 5 i could be playing and then boom, a crash with nothing but a black/white/pink/green screen, might be other colors too but i dont remember. I dont mean multiple colors at once but like its mroe like gambling and white or black screen crashes are the most common.
My GPU temp never goes above 50 degrees celcius and the usage is always above 50%. GPU fans are at 90% (manually set) and they're going at about 2750rpm.
My CPU temp is always below 80degrees so about 65-79degrees and the usage is about 59-80%.
I use msi afterburner for those statistics
I have all case fans set to the maximum assuming the adjusters work, it's an old computer but i just replaced the gpu when i got the pc, it has about 6 case fans
GPU is gigabyte gtx 1650 and CPU is i7 870, motherboard is Maximus III GENE, 6gb of 1333mhz ram (surprised it works), 446gb SSD, 930GB HDD, windows 10 pro
PSU is a chieftec one, dont know model, hella used so probably old as well and probably its under heavy gaming use everyday? I have no idea how it comes out so the only information i can see is that it has "ATE OK1", "HI-POT OK", " BURN IN OK" and it as a120 second Fan Delay-Off function. Next to the power port or the thing where the cable goes has 3 lines, "100-240V", "50-60Hz" and "10A".
I looked in the chieftec site and there is no PSU that has the same things so it has to be a fake psu right? I don't know how to remove the psu
btw i just launched gta 5 so those temps and usages might go higher

Also im using directx 10 on gta 5 and have the max video settings, my fps is usually somwhere between 55+
And I've underclocked my core and memory clock to -156 on both of them in msi afterburner since that somehow helps with the crashing, i mean that crashing happens less frequently
and the crashing happens with every game and i can hear sounds for about 30 seconds ater the crash and then nothing so i have to restart the pc with the button on the case

Reliability History says hardware error and windows was not properly shut down and in Event Viewer under the critical event it has Kernel-Power as the source, event ID is 41 and Log is system?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make (Chieftec noted), model, rating, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing error messages and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.

May 8, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make (Chieftec noted), model, rating, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing error messages and warnings just before or at the time of the crashes.
I've added some things but i cant remove the psu

ASK THE COMMUNITY