Question My computer freezes on idle ?

May 12, 2022
A few months ago I purchased a GIGABYTE RX6600XT. It was to replace my GIGABYTE RX460. After installing it, I played a few games to see the graphics and went to bed. The following day, I saw the screen was black. I shook the mouse, no response. I pressed a few keys on the keyboard, no response. I pressed the NUM Lock and CAP Lock to see if the computer is responding, but nothing. I did a reset and it ran as normal. I went to bed and woke up with the computer frozen yet again. Did a reset and looked into the internet for answers. One solution was to use DDU and do a clean install. I did that, still freezes. I made sure the computer was up to date and still freezes. I turned off the screen timeout, still freezes.

I looked into Event Viewer for any errors around the time the computer froze. All I see is a Kernal Power code for the reset and nothing else. No software code. No hardware code. Nothing. So I decided to leave HWiNFO open along with task manager to see how the computer behaves when I walk away. I saw nothing out of the ordinary that screams this is why the computer freezes.

So now I decided to experiment. Since the computer freezes while idle, what will happen if I keep a program running. I opened the Alarm & Clock app and started the stopwatch. Big difference. The computer doesn't freeze while the clock is running. Perfect. I kept the routine for days, no issue. However, it will still freeze days later but I'm not sure if it is because the stopwatch stops on its own. I did try stopping the stopwatch to see how it behaves and it freezes in minutes. There was a moment after a reset the computer freezes in under 3 minutes before I even open the stopwatch after logging in.

I did try installing the driver with and without Radeon software and no changes. I normally don't do the optional installation but I did try it and still the same thing. If anyone knows how to dianogsis or help me look into Event Viewer to find a code related to it is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
MB: GIGABYTE H270M-DS3H
CPU: Intel i3-7100
Memory: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX (8GB)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3
3 SSD
2 Monitors

TRENDING THREADS