Question My computer freezes when playing any game.

Sep 10, 2019
I will provide as much info as possible as I've attempted to fix this problem.

I'm running Windows 10 x64
16 GB RAM
GPU: AMD R9 270
Processor: AMD-FX 4350
Power Supply: ST50F-ES

Whenever I'm playing a game, there's a chance, that my computer freezes in the way that even the sound lingers on the last tone it was on, neither mouse or keyboard can be used, and I have to reset the PC. I have tested this with games such as Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Dark Souls 3 and Phantasy Star Online 2. Each showing the exact same symptom that at some point, my whole computer freezes. There are no frame rate problems at all during gameplay. This has been working for 3 years straight, and this problem began about a week ago.

The event viewer also shows no logs at the timestamps or anything close to resembling that there was a critical error, assuming that even Event Viewer froze. The only log that is made, is that the computer has shut down unexpectedly, which is always when I reset the PC.
Additionally, I use Discord, a chatting software, and I used to stream gameplay to people. This has always worked until recently, the people I stream to appear to experience black screen flickering and very choppy framerate.
The same happened when I attempted this through the streaming software Kast and also through Twitch.

I have performed a clean install (After like 3 years or something) and I've also cleaned out the dust from all components.

I've checked the temperatures and it doesn't seem to get past 55 degrees at best, and that's not even my graphics card. I used Speedfan to determine the temperatures.

I'm currently at the end of my rope of things to try out in order to fix this problem.

What is exactly happening, what is the cause, and what can I do about this problem? If I missed anything, please tell me, anything may help.

-- Extra notes --

1. There has been a strange problem where if I put any USB device in the front ports, and then stood up from my desk, it caused the computer to freeze in the same way. My solution for that is to never touch those USB ports again and that so far has worked.

-- Updates --

My desktop is standing on a shelf. As I turned it off to check what Power Supply it had, I set it down on the ground, opened the cover, took photos, closed the cover and powered it back on. Strangely enough, I had no signal despite the cables not being removed. I turned it off, put it back on the shelf, still no signal. I turned it off again, removed the HDMI cable from both TV and desktop, plugged it back in and, it gave me a signal again. If it's needed, I don't mind opening up the computer to try things again, but I'm rather terrified I won't get a signal again.

(My apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this in)

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019
Which Power Supply unit are you using ? Some of the latest Windows 10 OS patches/updates have caused performance issues on some systems, though it is not widespread.
Power Supply: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=248
Contents of source:

ST50F-ES

■ High efficiency with 80 PLUS certification
■ 500W 24hour continuous power output with 40℃operating temperature
■ Class-leading single +12V rail
■ Multiple protection circuitry
■ Silent running 120mm fan with 18dBA minimum
■ PCI-E 8pin and PCI-E 6pin connectors support
■ Supports ATX 12V 2.3
■ Active PFC

It may also be worth mentioning, that since the reinstall, I've never updated again to 1903. The reinstall happened last week sunday.