[SOLVED] My computer has suddlenly become super slow out of nowhere! Sorry if this is wrong catagory but i couldn't see one that would fit the problem.

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Sorry if this is wrong catagory but i couldn't see one that would fit the problem.

Recently moved house and didnt have wifi for a month, so used my computer occasionaly to play some games in offline mode on steam. It was booting as normal then.
Since booting with wifi it has become awfully slow, talking 5 minutes to simply reach the desktop and then an additional five or more before things start working at a normal speed, before then things just take ages to load, cursor basicly constantly in loading ring. When things have finaly loaded there are still points where random things stop responding. Previously i would be fully loaded in roughly under a minute.

My computer runs an 250gb SSD with the OS and most software on, and a 1 TB hardrive where i put games. I cleared up both with with 43.7gb remaining on SSD and 283GB on HD so space i doubt is the issue. I also have 16gb of ram, gtx 760 graphics card (getting old now) and an AMD FX-8350 8 core processor 4.0 GHZ. Dont know if all these specs are usefull but thought it best to share.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you.
Michael

Solution
The only Realtek i have is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.
that is your Ethernet controller. It also has really old drivers, as they from 2015. So I would follow the Gigabyte link I gave you and install the newest drivers, It should increase boot speed unless that is the ssd to blame.

Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 442307 times.

that sounds like a problem

it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.

I would listen to advice. and keep eye on ssd. What brand is ssd?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running this on HDD/SSD - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php
run any scans you can in the disk menu

have you tried removing wifi card to see if it is any faster? I realise you won't have internet but if wifi access is only difference, its somewhere to start

What wifi card do you have?
Did it happen straight away after 1st boot with wifi? check windows update and see if you got anything same day

is it slow before or after the login screen?

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Try running this on HDD/SSD - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php
run any scans you can in the disk menu

have you tried removing wifi card to see if it is any faster? I realise you won't have internet but if wifi access is only difference, its somewhere to start

What wifi card do you have?
Did it happen straight away after 1st boot with wifi? check windows update and see if you got anything same day

is it slow before or after the login screen?
It is slow before and after log in screen and it was super slow on first boot with wifi. Im afraid i dont know what wifi card i have or if i have one, my computer cant connect wirlelessly so is connected via direct ethernet.
I'll go reboot it without wifi and see if that does anything, then ill try that software u sent.

UPDATE - the software gives both my HDD and SSD 100%perfromance and SSD 94% health with HDD 100%.

Last edited:

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
I should have read your 1st post again, the wifi is your internet connection, not your card in PC.

What motherboard do you have?

So it boots normal speed if Ethernet cable not attached?
Ye defo faster without ethernet connected. But it eventualy seems to speed up after running for a while.
My motherboard is a gigabyte 970a-ds3p

Colif

Win 11 Master

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
can you go to device manager
Under network adapters, right click on the Realtek Ethernet controller and choose properties
on the driver tab, can you tell me the name of provider, driver date. version and digital signer

Latest driver on Gigabyte website is May 30 2018, its possibly MIcrosoft have updated it since though.
https://www.gigabyte.com/au/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan
On this one the provider is Realtek, date is 05/05/2015, version 10.1.505.2015, signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.
the only one in network adapters with ethernet in name is LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet adapter. Provider here is LogMeIn Inc., date 30/03/2015, version 15.28.40.464 and signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher.

On hard disk sentinel, the performance of SSD is now 82% with this long message bellow

Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 442307 times.
In case of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible file(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.
More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #177 Wear Leveling Count

No actions needed.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
that is your Ethernet controller. It also has really old drivers, as they from 2015. So I would follow the Gigabyte link I gave you and install the newest drivers, It should increase boot speed unless that is the ssd to blame.

it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.

Solution

Shmichael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB