My computer is always running at 100% cpu!

Raven Williams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
I have a Dell Inspiron 11, 3000 Series. When I first got the computer for Christmas, it was running decently fast and I had virtually no problems with it. However, I started noticing that no matter if I was connected to the internet or not, my pc would run at 100% cpu, and occasionally 100% disk. I'm not sure how to fix this but I need this slowness to stop as my computer is still fairly new!?

Solution
There could be a lot of things that are causing this. So try the following:

1. Background processes - Check what processes are running when you have no active programs. This will let you know what is using your cpu.
2. Startup programs - Check what programs automatically startup. These will use the cpu the moment you switch on your pc.
3. Junk program - These are programs that get installed as a result of another program. They tend to be an add on and can take up the cpu usage very easily
4. Junk files - These are files that get left over when you uninstall a program. I would go through your pc and check that all files are actually needed and delete out any that aren't
5. Temp files - Use a clean like ccleaner or Clean master to get...
sounds like malware.

Complete the scan and removal with both these programs

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

also, in your windows search enter %temp% and delete all files in that folder.

see if it helps and let me know.

There could be a lot of things that are causing this. So try the following:

1. Background processes - Check what processes are running when you have no active programs. This will let you know what is using your cpu.
2. Startup programs - Check what programs automatically startup. These will use the cpu the moment you switch on your pc.
3. Junk program - These are programs that get installed as a result of another program. They tend to be an add on and can take up the cpu usage very easily
4. Junk files - These are files that get left over when you uninstall a program. I would go through your pc and check that all files are actually needed and delete out any that aren't
5. Temp files - Use a clean like ccleaner or Clean master to get rid on any temp files that maybe on your pc.

Solution

Raven Williams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

See that's the thing. Sometimes it's firefox, sometimes it's chrome. Even if I close both those out, other programs will rise up and use as much as 50%.

Raven Williams

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015

After reading up about the problem for a while I was convinced it was malware, too, so I downloaded and ran malwarebytes and found a program that was indeed malicious software. However, it's a little less than a week later and my computer is still consistently running at 100%.

What is the second program? And where would I search for %temp% at?
Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

second program is malware removal and the more important part than malwarebytes. download it, press scan, then after the scan is complete press cleaning. already gave you the link.

in windows search type %temp% and press enter

u know the start menu in windows 7 has a search box. use that.
or the charm in windows 8 in the right pannel. the magnifying glass.

delete everything in that folder possible.

let me know if you still have a question or if it doesnt work.