Question My new processor is causing radio interference, is this right?!

May 11, 2021
When I turn on my PC my DAB radio cuts out and I need to move it to the other room. This only happens when I turn on my new PC (i7 10700, with 6yr old psu).
My old PC from work circa 2015 causes no problems.

So I swapped the internals from my new pc into the old case, yup, the problem returns, so it's not the case, it's something to do with the new pc bits.

It's very annoying, any thoughts on what it might be would be appreciated.

Update 16/5/21: I have changed the title of the post to reflect my latest findings.

System:
i7 10700
MSI Z490i Unify
32GB TeamGroup Vulcan
2gb SX8200 M2 drive
450w Corsair SFX psu
Alpenfone Blackridge cooler
RX570 (interference occurs with or without the card installed)

Last edited:
May 11, 2021
Interesting, no, not gone down the christmas tree route :) Although some of them look amazing!

I have emailed Corsair to see if they think the PSU (it's 6 years old or so) could be the cause of it. I wish I could hook up the older PSU to the newer motherboard but it has a funky shorter/reduced pin ATC connector.

May 11, 2021
Interesting, no, not gone down the christmas tree route :) Although some of them look amazing!

I have emailed Corsair to see if they think the PSU (it's 6 years old or so) could be the cause of it. I wish I could hook up the older PSU to the newer motherboard but it has a funky shorter/reduced pin ATC connector.

Update: Corsair replied saying they didn't believe anything in the PSU could cause the interference.

But, i was reading up more about LED lights (none in my house) causing DAB radio issues and one poster said...
Surely it is not the LED lights that are the problem, it is the power units that drive them. All switched >mode power units generate a whole load of EMI if not properly suppressed. …
Which makes me think, could Corsair be wrong?

Last edited:
May 11, 2021
Update: Transferred my PSU into the work 2015 pc (via an adapter - Lenovo workstations use an ATX plug with reduced pin numbers) and the radio works fine.
So, looks like it's not the PSU. So is it the motherboard, the memory or the M2 drive. Hmm.

May 11, 2021
Update: Here's the apparent cause folks. I took apart the computer down to the bare motherboard and added things piece by piece. The motherboard alone was ok (obvs connected to the PSU ;) ) but when I add the processor, there it is the radio cuts out.
Is this level of emi to be expected? A i7-4970 doesn't do this :(

May 11, 2021
UPDATE: Solved. It was the motherboard. CCLOnline in the UK took the motherboard back very graciously and provided a great service. There is still interference there but it is MUCH reduced and workable. Still more than the old computer though.