My computer is crashing during startup!

TopBanana78

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Earlier today, I put a temp hard drive into my computer to copy some games over, and now it wont boot, it just completely shuts off, even after I took the temp hard drive out. Before this it was working perfectly. It starts to boot up just fine, then it crashes after 20 seconds to 1 min, it only made it to the login screen once and then crashed. It's not a blue screen of death, it just instantly shuts off. I've read a lot of forums and some people are saying its the PSU, but that doesn't make sense to me, because it was working fine this morning.

Its a Desktop.

Any help is appreciated

Solution
Why does it not make sense.
If you have a power supply in the system that is only capable of providing a set amount of power.
And you add another bit of hardware to the system that requires power.

Especially if the PSU in the system is a cheap no branded name of a unit with a low wattage and amp rating output.
It can damage the PSU due to overloading the components of the power supply unit.

Once that is done, the PSU will be permanently rendered unstable at producing the correct power required or will wildly fluctuate in the power it can output. Or be reduced in the amount of power it can reliably output.

There is and old saying to fault find start at the very first thing.
For PC`s that is the power supply unit of the system when it...
Why does it not make sense.
If you have a power supply in the system that is only capable of providing a set amount of power.
And you add another bit of hardware to the system that requires power.

Especially if the PSU in the system is a cheap no branded name of a unit with a low wattage and amp rating output.
It can damage the PSU due to overloading the components of the power supply unit.

Once that is done, the PSU will be permanently rendered unstable at producing the correct power required or will wildly fluctuate in the power it can output. Or be reduced in the amount of power it can reliably output.

There is and old saying to fault find start at the very first thing.
For PC`s that is the power supply unit of the system when it starts to crash reset, blue screen, or completely power off while loading windows, or when more power is required from the system.

For example when windows loads, and if you have a Pci-e graphics card that consumes or requires more power from the PSU of the system when the video card driver is loaded by windows for use.

And a typical case where the system upon loading windows os midway through suddenly powers off or crashes.
Because the driver and it`s loading or initialisation utilises the full function of the graphics card or the GPU chip on it Top Banana.
The power consumption rises.

And Bang right at that point before windows even reaches the desktop or user account login. Boom ! the system cuts dead with no power.

There are alot of things that happen when windows OS is loading including the amount of power required as hardware is enabled through the loading of drivers ect by windows.

Does it make sense now as to why to check the system with a new power supply unit ?
Since the rest of the whole system relies on it to do it`s job right and give the correct amount of power to all the other components of the system build ?

Solution

TopBanana78

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016

Ok, thanks! That does make sense now. I'll test it out and post the results here.