[SOLVED] My computer is dead

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
a while back i tried to start my pc with no luck. The power supply was old so i replaced as i could get the motherboard to turn on if i forced power in. Now, i tried a new power supply and jumped it. the gpu wont show an image and im stuck at square one.

Solution
While I was looking around at this I found that the mobo lists the CPU as compatible. The CPU list does not have this motherboard in it.
Obviously that list could well be incomplete, etc. and if it's been working all this time.

It would be awesome if you could at least find if the CPU is good. Those still go for a decent price on eBay, as do the motherboards. In light of that and in a case like yours, unless some really wild miracle solution presents, it's probably time to cut losses and start thinking about what's next.

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
i had a dell power supply that had an external power button (I think it was for testing but that turned the power on) jumping a wire from start to ground on the 24 pin motherboard connector by jamming a wire in to connect the pins

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

this link shows how it jumped the supply, just from the otherside of the connector. to turn it on as the motherboard power button had no effect

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
Can you try your parts in another PC to pinpoint the nonworking component?
I tried the power supplies and they are good (the old one booted a small dell do I thought its caps were too weak for my PC as it was old) and I tried other gpus. i tested the ram in another PC it was good. i don't wanna remover the heat sink from the cpu as i don't know if it will be reusable since i cant get cleaner of thermal paste with the lockdown also the motherboard has 2 sector displays (2 1 digit displays which show nothing)

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
I tried the power supplies and they are good (the old one booted a small dell do I thought its caps were too weak for my PC as it was old) and I tried other gpus. i tested the ram in another PC it was good. i don't wanna remover the heat sink from the cpu as i don't know if it will be reusable since i cant get cleaner of thermal paste with the lockdown also the motherboard has 2 sector displays (2 1 digit displays which show nothing)
my heatsink is a big Thermaltake and i don't wanna rip it off the cpu

If there is no power to the motherboard and the PSU is working, its a dead motherboard for sure.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you trying to turn the computer on with the motherboard pins, or the case button?
Before you write the mobo off, try just shorting the pins directly on the motherboard. You only have to touch them with a screwdriver end or the like. You could well have a bad power switch or the wire going there.

It may be helpful to tell us what you are working with, specifically, parts wise.

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
Are you trying to turn the computer on with the motherboard pins, or the case button?
Before you write the mobo off, try just shorting the pins directly on the motherboard. You only have to touch them with a screwdriver end or the like. You could well have a bad power switch or the wire going there.

It may be helpful to tell us what you are working with, specifically, parts wise.
both, the motherboard lights are coming on when I jump the psu though.
specs are:
i73820
msi motherboard with intel x79 chipset https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Intel-DDR3-Motherboard-X79A-GD45/dp/B0064LW8PE
ssd (I think sandisk)
16gb of ddr3
evga gtx 680 (trying to upgrade to rx570)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you downloaded or looked in the manual to see if that light is a fault indicator?

I have never "jump started" a PSU while connected to the components. I have no idea what damage, if any, could be done doing so.

What I am asking is, if you trace your case power button back to the motherboard it's sitting on two pins. If you have everything plugged in and ready to be powered on, and short those two pins, it's the same as hitting a power button. This eliminates the possibility that the case power button or the wire back and forth are bad.
If it doesn't power on in that method I would suggest that something is damaged or incompatible in some way. Real shame with that (even older) chip and mobo.

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
Have you downloaded or looked in the manual to see if that light is a fault indicator?

I have never "jump started" a PSU while connected to the components. I have no idea what damage, if any, could be done doing so.

What I am asking is, if you trace your case power button back to the motherboard it's sitting on two pins. If you have everything plugged in and ready to be powered on, and short those two pins, it's the same as hitting a power button. This eliminates the possibility that the case power button or the wire back and forth are bad.
If it doesn't power on in that method I would suggest that something is damaged or incompatible in some way. Real shame with that (even older) chip and mobo.
I traced the wire and tried that I even used the power button on the motherboard

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ok. In the manual:

https://www.devicemanuals.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/X79A-GD45-EN.pdf

It appears the light one could be related to that "CPU Phase" power loading thing.

Looks like you should be able to press the button to undo OC Genie.

I note this board has a dual BIOS switch.

I can only assume you've been down the short list of resetting CMOS, obviously have checked the connections and such.....

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020
Ok. In the manual:

https://www.devicemanuals.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/X79A-GD45-EN.pdf

It appears the light one could be related to that "CPU Phase" power loading thing.

Looks like you should be able to press the button to undo OC Genie.

I note this board has a dual BIOS switch.

I can only assume you've been down the short list of resetting CMOS, obviously have checked the connections and such.....
thanks for finding that I found one on msi website that said 2014 even though the motherboard is older

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
While I was looking around at this I found that the mobo lists the CPU as compatible. The CPU list does not have this motherboard in it.
Obviously that list could well be incomplete, etc. and if it's been working all this time.

It would be awesome if you could at least find if the CPU is good. Those still go for a decent price on eBay, as do the motherboards. In light of that and in a case like yours, unless some really wild miracle solution presents, it's probably time to cut losses and start thinking about what's next.

Solution

spanconstant5

Commendable
Apr 5, 2020

since I just bought a new gpu, could I buy a new motherboard, cpu and ram and just replace that and keep the case and ssd (ik id need to deal with drivers)

TRENDING THREADS