My computer is failing on a couple of things I just want to make things clear before I buy stuff.

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Hi, I recently bought a new Graphics card since I installed it I got a lot of problems.

The problem is that I am getting black screens when I am playing games and rarely blue screens (Really rare) a lot of people told me that it was my Power supply but I just want to makes sure it is before I spend another 200 bucks or something.

1 Thing is brothering me that I would like to ask before I buy a new power supply when I play games I sometimes get a black screen but when I do I get it constantly for the rest of the day but then again sometimes when I am playing the same game I just do not get the error for like 3 days and that is what I found a bit strange if my power supply really was not giving enough power why is it only black screening sometimes and not always?

Specs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Card:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 290X
Number of cards: 1
SLI / CrossFire: Off
Memory: 4.096 MB
Core clock: 1.000 MHz
Memory bus clock: 1.250 MHz
Driver name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Driver version: 13.251.0.0
Driver status: FM Approved
Processor:
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 Processor
Reported stock core clock: 3.400 MHz
Maximum turbo core clock: 3.790 MHz
Physical / logical processors: 1 / 8
Number of cores: 4
Package: LGA1155
Manufacturing process: 32 nm
TDP: 95 W
General:
Operating system: 64-bit Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600)
Motherboard: Acer Predator G5910
Memory: 8.192 MB
Module 1: 4.096 MB Samsung DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Module 2: 4.096 MB Samsung DDR3 @ 667 MHz
Hard drive model: 120 GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB

Solution
I most likely is a psu problem, The R9 290 Consumes much, Much more power than the HD 5750. You will also need a better psu as that one isnt very good, It most likely has degraded over time and when you got the R9 290 i had degraded so that the step up in watt requirement was to large and it just couldnt provide.
Are you getting black and blue screens, hey, did you kick your monitors ass? Kidding. Anyhow, are you getting them ONLY when gaming or at other times as well? While watching video? Browsing? You might try installing the correct driver rather than the generic Microsoft driver, by going to AMD and installing the Catalyst Control Center 14.4 which will install all the most recent drivers and support for your card. Choose the custom install option and do not install the Quickstream or Gaming enchancements. They just create more problems than they are worth.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Thanks for the fast reply I do get them mostly in games but after I just got one from games I get them from almost everything.

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
If it was a power supply problem then it would only happen under a curtain load, Watching videos and browsing doesnt require much power as its not intensive Intensive applications like games mean the gpu and cpu have to go up to like 90% load, Making more heat and consuming more power, This probably means you need a larger power supply, I recommend the http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20850xr From Evga and super Flower, It has japanese caps, 80+ Gold, Eco Fan mode, 90% Efficency, 10 Year warranty, Great customer service and 4 way sli and xFire support.
It will give you enough power and allow you to do sli/xFire Down the road.

wildfire707

Distinguished
You can have driver problems from your old card as well (they may not have cleaned up correctly). When I changed from an AMD/ATI video card to a NVIDIA one, I had to run driver cleaner and reinstall my video driver in order to make it happy.

What was your old video card?

The power supply you linked to is also not ideal. It runs 4 12v rails to provide power and is an older model.

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

I only used for half a year but I bought it from a friends friend so you know what that cud mean and I just want to mention my pc is fine when I put in my old graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5750)

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Hi, I correctly cleaned my drivers over safe mode and even tried a lot of different versions.

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

ATI Radeon HD 5750

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I most likely is a psu problem, The R9 290 Consumes much, Much more power than the HD 5750. You will also need a better psu as that one isnt very good, It most likely has degraded over time and when you got the R9 290 i had degraded so that the step up in watt requirement was to large and it just couldnt provide.

Solution

wildfire707

Distinguished
It probably is the power supply then. The review you linked to was in 2008. Even if that power supply was made at the end of a run it is probably 5 years old.

The minimum that I would recommend would be the Antec BP550 Plus. It is modular, has enough wattage to run that video card (but just barely) and is less than $70.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

If you want something that can handle that and more (without any trouble), I would recommend the SeaSonic M12II 850 PSU. It is modular, and has 4 x 6+2 pin connectors and costs $116.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108

That power supply is on the Tom's tier five replace immediately list. Before you do one other thing I would replace it. The list is located here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

After that I would uninstall all graphics card drivers by right clicking on the device in device manager, selecting uninstall device, also checking the "uninstall device driver" box I the next dialogue and then installing the CCC 14.4 package like I said before.

This Seasonic PSU is more than capable of powering dual cards and is one of the most reliable around.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

Oh well that explains a lot thanks for the list man I will replace it this week.

Just so you understand, it's not just about the rated wattage. There's a lot more to it which you can read about in the link below. Just because the spec sheet says it's 1050w doesn't mean it reliably supplies that or that the components are going to last at that wattage for longer than five minutes. One PSU rated at 1050 watts might actually provide about 350-400 on a continuous basis while another might be able to do that 24/7.

If the power supply you buy isn't above the third tier on the list, don't buy it. And if you are going to be gaming and pushing it hard, even occasionally, it better be on either tier 1 or tier 2 class A or B. And for what you want to do, even with dual cards, 750w with one of the top tiered PSU's is probably plenty.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601-7.html

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

I am buying the
XFX 1050W Black Edition, 1050 Watt

ToxicMagic

Reputable
May 30, 2014

well I ordered it so I am happy that it is a good one :D thanks for the help btw.

TRENDING THREADS