Question My computer is freezing intermittently, forcing me to perform a Hard Boot to get it back up and running.

Under educated User

Commendable
Oct 21, 2019
My computer is freezing intermittently and won't respond to any of my commands. The power light is on, but the data transfer light doesn't flash anymore, and whatever was last displayed on the screen is stuck until the computer is powered off.

The only way I have found to fix it is to force a complete hard boot. Because otherwise, it would stay in this state indefinitely.

As an experiment, I once left it overnight to see if it would come back on its own, but it never did.

And it doesn't matter what I'm doing either, I could be playing a game or watching a movie on my browser when it freezes.

This problem has been occurring more frequently in recent months. This last weekend, I had to restart my computer seven times alone.

A couple of months ago, I've taken this to my Father who works in IT and he believed it to be a Data Corruption Issue and the Event Logs supported his hypothesis as it had indicated Bad Blocks on my C: Drive.

After a couple of failed attempts to repair the errors on the disk, I've completely reinstalled a brand new image of Windows 10 Pro on a different drive and performed a Full Format on the other drives to be safe.

Running the check tools on those disks now indicates that there are no longer any Bad Blocks or File Path Issues, yet my computer still freezes and my father doesn't know what else it could possibly be.

I'm at my wit's end, I've been dealing with this issue for months now and I'm no closer to a solution.

Specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2101, 12/2/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
BaseBoard Product M5A78L-M/USB3
BaseBoard Version Rev X.0x
Platform Role Desktop
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1741"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 29.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 19.8 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off

PSU: EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, 5 years old
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 series

Last edited:

Under educated User

Commendable
Oct 21, 2019
The make and model of your PSU as well as it's age aren't provided in the specs above. Please include that bit. You're working with the onboard GPU on the motherboard?

Sorry, I had just pulled the information from my System Information.

PSU: EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, 5 years old
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570 series