My computer is freezing!

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
So, I'm at a loss. Here is what I've got:
Computer freezes, it only does so when I am gaming. It does not do so on other intensive tasks such as using a maps program, real time streaming, or running any kind of media. Only while gaming.

The freeze is sudden, and there is no sign of problems, and then it suddenly and drastically freezes. I only get events that suggest the computer shut down unexpectedly, and there are no other critical errors. There are a couple of errors other than this, but they are minor issues that not only wouldn't cause a freeze, but are issues I'm fine with existing.

I have had every piece of hardware in the pc tested by a professional organization that has a good reputation. This is after testing every part myself the best I could. After this came up clean of hardware faults I even went and got a second opinion. No hardware issues were found after extensive stress testing.

I have completely reformatted the hard drives and installed windows as a new installation from a new copy of windows 8. Still freezes only while playing games.

I have retested various hardware due to possible issues. I did recieve this PC second hand, but from my neihbor who has paid for the majority of the tests and insisted on doing so. I had used his PC at his place without issue playing the exact same game and it did NOT freeze. He wanted to keep his hard drives, so I am using my own. I do not know if a hard drive issue could cause this issue, but a surface check and a S.M.A.R.T. check have both found no issues.

I just want to use the computer for it's intended purposes. Here are the specs from speccy:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GgkMBbbisd4gwwZpaDPGn6z

On the software front I have overclocked my GeForce 560ti to take more voltage after reading people have issues with that, I have also tried DriveFusion to remove the current driver and downgrade to the previous driver. Games still freeze. I have no idea what to do now! Please help!!

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Considering his story, the group who monitored had to be terribly dumb to not see heat spikes, even the PSU asumptin s kind of crazy considering his pc got checked...especially because happens only with games

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V
It has been checked, and no fault was found. In fact I had a friend of mine help me remove the psu, motherboard, and gpu as the most likely issues, and helped me try some of his spares. It did not change the issue...

The temp is monitored and nothing is overheating. It was further monitored during stress testing, and two different repair outlets said that it wasn't overheating, and furthermore that it was some kind of software issue.(which is annoying because I get to fr-and someone suggests overheating because it's the most common issue, but I assure you that it isn't the issue here.)

The games I've noticed this on are League of Legends, Marvel Heroes, and World of Warcraft. Those three games should be ran by my system easily. I'm not playing anything too intensive here. I'm pretty sure running media should be more intensive than some of these games... I really don't get it, and I'm at the point of pulling out my hair. I bought this computer specifically so I could play games...could it be the hard drive? That I have NOT tested myself, but the repair places did.

the failing psu can make computer do freeze,never hear that.

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
I think I may have found the issue. I have FIVE HD sound drivers, from TWO companies. I've disabled the nVidia sound files to play through the realtek one, and I just played League of Legends for an hour and a half with no crashes(sound turned off though.)

So now I just have to figure out how to tell the computer to never download the extra sound files and I prob will stop crashing. Good theory anyway.

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
So just froze again...it's been running fine for 4-5 games, but it definitely just froze.

With League of Legends, it had been freezing multiple times in 1 game, but this was 1 freeze, however with the issues being what they have been I dont trust it not to do this again. IVE TRIED EVERYTHING! I WANT TO LOUSEVILLE SLUGGER MY POS ASSININE MACHINE INTO DUST! I've spent hundreds diagnosing this problem and I'm at the end of my rope. My friend said he'd take it back and end the deal, but I don't want to do that. I want this beast to work!

if you try with sound disabled and it didnt crash.may help uninstall hole Nvidia driver package internet adapter(it comes with Nvidia)video, audio ,till it says you have to reboot pc then try uninstall again,if the message come again then reboot and uninstall whats left( Nvidia GeForce Experience) and reboot again.and install again:http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73780/en-us

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
So, League of Legends is definitely crashing, I am in the middle of uninstalling the nVidia drivers as suggested. One thing I will need to mention though is that I have a couple of games that don't crash now.

Hearthfire, which is actually more intensive than LoL is not crashing, plays fine. Same with Civilization V. I do not understand why League of Legends, World of Warcraft and Marvel Heroes are crashing. Also, last League of Legends game crashed by shutting down PC(mentioned this occurs rarely) so I checked the event log, and it told me that nVidia and LoL failed to communicate with windows...

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Hey kapitalistas, did as instructed. Games are still crashing, but definitely less. I am looking for other possible conflicts as well. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I just played LoL for about 3 hours and had 2 crashes. Much better than the 2-3 a game I had before.

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
So...did some stress tests and ran into a problem. Running MSI Kombuster OpenGL2 tests cause the system to freeze and crash. No other stress test does it, and monitoring it with CPUID HWMONITOR shows that nothing is going over, no overheating, voltage isn't dropping, but computer freezes, and only on this test...

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
No, that's the thing. I have no overclocked bits, but I thought I'd check it anyway, since it would be a way to see how my system is moving when playing a game without having to move around in the game.

The normal stress tests were fine. Finished benchmarking and scores come out pretty decent. Tried Burn-In tests because they reflect the true stress of a complex system. The only burn-in my comp had trouble with was the one set on OpenGL2. It would crash within 1 to 3 minutes which is the same issue I'm dealing with in the games that keep crashing. Freezes system so I have to hard reset, or just resets on it's own. STill nothing in the event viewer to suggest why, and I've made sure that everything is reporting to event viewer. Even have an event viewer of the function "bugsplat" which League uses to monitor bugs, and it tells me that "bugsplat failed to report" which according to a few searches means that whatever happens happens fast enough to stop the service before it can really get an idea of what's happening.

Also no stuttering or slow down before crash, temp numbers are not going above 63 c on a highly stressed machine, and voltage numbers neither waiver or spike. Memory isn't dumping either. I have no idea wtf is happening to freeze it up, but I'd think it probably correlates to something about how my graphics card is communicating with the rest of the pc.

Are their some security measures I can lower for that specifically? Maybe I just need to let the drivers speak better with windows. I've looked around, but it's always the place you miss, or else there wouldn't be a problem. I mean, I didn't think to do burn-in tests initially because I'm not overclocking. Any input would be appreciated.

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
used burn-in test with the suggestion to watch it. CPUs 0,2 and 3 are about 45-55% while CPU 1 is on full load resting at about 100%. Interesting enough I tried to run it until it inevitable crashed and it didn't, after 6 minutes decided to report results.

Eldermath

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
ran for a bit with no crashes but of course, is crashing again...so the system is obviously a little unstable, but I haven't overclocked it, should I underclock it maybe? I dunno.