[SOLVED] My computer is getting very hot since I installed my new ram

Jun 4, 2020
So I'm not experienced at all when it comes to pcs and pc building , so today when I got some new corsair vengeance pro ram , I went to replace my old ram with this , I noticed the fan on my cpu cooler (cooler master Hyper 212 rgb black sdition) , was in the way of one of the ram slots , so , I moved the fan onto the other side of the heatsink , I installed my ram and my computer works really well , but , my pcs case is getting very hot , I have had no performance issues whatsoever but my pc heats up a lot when I play on games , any advice / potential solutions are appreciated greatly !

(This could be irrelevant information but I have found that the fan isn't clipping in to the cooler block on my cpu very well anymore , and is sliding when I attach it , and is loose )

Solution
This is the ideal senario for airflow, your CPU cooler fan of fans should pull air in the front and push the hot air to the back, I doubt inbstalling new RAM is causing heat issues to make your case hot. If your airflow is setup like this then better fans may help with a few C, but it sounds like your case has a poor air exchange so you may have to live wth it. Your CPU is not the coolest anyway so that is causing your PC to heat up with poor air exchange and when gaming the GPU will also pump out heat of 60+C making it all very toasty.

So I think you could...

1. Get better case fans (Coolermaster stock fans are not great) Corsair, Noctua...add extra one if the case allows.
  2. Check your cable management, SSD bays for anything...

hambuckles31

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
Hi Mxxeu
Does you motherboard have 4 ram slots? and how many sticks of ram do you have? if you only have two sticks make sure you ram is installed in alternating slots from the one furthest away for the CPU and you should be able to put your fan back on the other side.

Jun 4, 2020
I only have 2 ram slots and 1 gets taken up by the fan if I put it on the side which it seemed to work on, I installed 2 x8gb sticks of ram

Jun 4, 2020
The front of the fan is facing the back of the case , directly opposite my other fan
I am not getting any performance issues at all I am just concerned that I may be damaging my pc as it is getting really hot

Jun 4, 2020
All my components of my pc feel hot to the touch , my cpu temperature Is roughly 42 degrees Celsius stationary and my ram is about 52 , so nothing seems to be getting damaged but my pcs case feels extremely hot to the touch, also I'm not sure on the intake or exhaust , it is on the back of my pc case pointing forwards , pushing air over the motherboard , sorry I don't know anything about pcs , I appreciate your help aswell by the way it is calming my nerves a lot

hambuckles31

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
it ok if you want lower temp you can try installing some fans in the front of your case for more airflow. but you shouldn't have any problem with your current configuration

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not hard.
The front of the fan is facing the back of the case , directly opposite my other fan

The hyper212 uses a bracket or clips. The bracket has 4x screws in it. You'll need to unscrew those and flip the fan 180°. Same with the clips, they'll need to be reversed.

You need the front of the fan facing the back of the heatsink. The way you say it is now, the airflow is being pushed through the heatsink, towards the front of the case. To make matters worse than just recycling the hot air throughout the case, you have a rear exhaust and a cpu fan battling for the same tiny bit of air that's between them.

Fans should always face out for intake, and face in for exhaust. By putting the fan on the back, it's still an intake, it's sucking air through the cpu cooler, not blowing it through. It should be blowing air out towards the exhaust.

Orientation of the fan / direction of airflow is totally different to mounting position.

Jun 4, 2020
Would be useful to know what your system specs are, CPU, GPU etc and what case you are using with what fan setup/configuration. What make of fans are in your case now?

I am using an i7 9700k with a gtx 1650 , 16gb of corsair vengeance pro rgb ram , as to the case I'm notbsurebthe exact name but it is a mid tower case from coolermaster

Does your coolermaster have a mesh front like a
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...tfenster-Midi-Tower-ohne-Netztei_1232364.html

or solid front like
https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_cooler-master-silencio-550-1516123.html?uympq=vpqr&rbtc=|||Computer+++Tablet > PC+Komponenten > PC+Gehäuse|p||&gclid=CjwKCAjw2uf2BRBpEiwA31VZjyHM6JWmd2VnX8pFfGtT92cYxq1P1A1_VAyV5chYBD5WS1SvGFTaYxoCR44QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just examples we have here in Germany, but I do know that some of the Coolermaster cases with closed fronts and only 1 front intake fan and 2 small slits on the side are pretty awful for getting air into the case. If you remove the front panel and see a big drop then it maybe that the case is just not able to push enough cool air for your cooler to work properly. Good CPU's and GPU's also need a good case for their thermal solutions to work efficiently.

Jun 4, 2020
When I take off the side panel , it doesn't seem to make a difference in my opinion

Does your coolermaster have a mesh front like a
https://www.mindfactory.de/product_...tfenster-Midi-Tower-ohne-Netztei_1232364.html

or solid front like
https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_cooler-master-silencio-550-1516123.html?uympq=vpqr&rbtc=|||Computer+++Tablet > PC+Komponenten > PC+Gehäuse|p||&gclid=CjwKCAjw2uf2BRBpEiwA31VZjyHM6JWmd2VnX8pFfGtT92cYxq1P1A1_VAyV5chYBD5WS1SvGFTaYxoCR44QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just examples we have here in Germany, but I do know that some of the Coolermaster cases with closed fronts and only 1 front intake fan and 2 small slits on the side are pretty awful for getting air into the case. If you remove the front panel and see a big drop then it maybe that the case is just not able to push enough cool air for your cooler to work properly. Good CPU's and GPU's also need a good case for their thermal solutions to work efficiently.

This is the ideal senario for airflow, your CPU cooler fan of fans should pull air in the front and push the hot air to the back, I doubt inbstalling new RAM is causing heat issues to make your case hot. If your airflow is setup like this then better fans may help with a few C, but it sounds like your case has a poor air exchange so you may have to live wth it. Your CPU is not the coolest anyway so that is causing your PC to heat up with poor air exchange and when gaming the GPU will also pump out heat of 60+C making it all very toasty.

So I think you could...

1. Get better case fans (Coolermaster stock fans are not great) Corsair, Noctua...add extra one if the case allows.
  2. Check your cable management, SSD bays for anything that might obstruct airflow from front to back.
  3. Get a better case.

dK0TM9C.png

Solution
Jun 4, 2020
Thanks for the advice , I will try get a new case , since my pc components are working fine still , for the time being , do you think my pc will be okay