My computer is locking up during gaming......I cannot seem to isolate the problem....Graphics card overheating?

Dutchoperative

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
FX 6300 @ 4.2ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Sapphire r9 280x
Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
2X4gb Crucial Ballistix RAM
Seasonic 612w PSU
Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD
Windows 10 64bit
Corsair 200r case

Every once and a while my computer will lock up during gaming (specifically while playing Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light Redux if that is relevant). The display will cut out and vertical lines appear across the screen. The system does not blue screen or shut itself off but remains running.....When I reset the system the GPU light on the motherboard comes on and the computer will not boot. This has led me to believe that the GPU is overheating despite the fact that the temperatures remain well below the safe levels while stress testing in furmark, I was experiencing this problem a couple of weeks ago so I disassembled my GPU, cleaned it, and replaced the thermal paste. i thought that this had fixed the problem as my temperatures went down by a few degrees and everything seemed to be running smoothly until today when the system locked up again while I was playing. My CPU's temps remain well within the safe limits (never above 60 degrees) while stress testing with prime95 and I was experiencing this problem before I overclocked my CPU so I doubt the overclock is the issue. At this point the only conclusion I can draw is that my GPU is either going bad or possibly overheating due to the combined heat of it and my CPU after a couple hours of gaming (I have three case fans 1 intake and 2 exhaust which should be adequate). Any suggestions?

Dutchoperative

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014

Possibly, I cannot remember for sure....The fact that the GPU light on my motherboard comes on when I try to restart it makes me think that it is a thermal issue rather than a driver issue though.....

spaceyeti

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
It might be the end of days for your card. artifacting and crashes mid game are signs if overheating and melting solder. when did u get the card. if its new it might be faulty.