My computer is making a really loud buzzing noise

Homerj1108

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
Sometimes my computer just starts to make a really loud annoying sound does anyone know what it might be and how I can fix it

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
When does it do it? Only when the system is under load? If so its likly coil whine and there is not much you can do about it, it doesn't nesscarily mean anything is wrong its just annoying. Other possibilities are a fan touching something or maybe a water pump if you have a liquid cooler. Pull the side panel off and see if you can figure out where the noise is coming from

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

A buzzing noise I would attribute to something electrical rather than mechanical like a fan. But if you have heard coil whine before and you don't think thats what it is it may not be. I would lust listen closely next time it makes the noise and try to find it.

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

A fan impeller that is slipping on the armature often produces a buzzing or whirring noise. It used to be pretty common on northbridge fans back in the day, I used to always give them a smack or two to get them working(sorta) again.

Homerj1108

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
ok it was coming from my speaker on the motherboard but is there anywhere i can find a log of these beeps to see what its trying to tell me i have my speaker unplugged so i can see if it is the problem

Homerj1108

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
But do you think it might mean high cpu temperature so can I record temperatures while gaming and look at them after it starts and see if that's it just in case I will plug my speaker in so I know and don't fry it. it's a new computer so it shouldn't be overheating there's nothing wrong with my cooler (I don't think) I can run hours under load before it beeps if it was cooling problem shouldn't it be almost instantly or after a few min?

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

It's possibly the bond between your heatsink and CPU isn't making contact too well, this would describe your problem. Open up something that can track temps and go from there.

Homerj1108

Reputable
Dec 9, 2016
i have 2 fans on my case one intake at the front and exhaust at the back witch is there the radiator on my h55 is so i think after about 5-6 hours gaming the air in my case gets hotter from things like my gpu so the air going through my radiator is warmer witch is making my cpu hotter and is why its warning me and why it takes so long to happen next time it does this i will look at my temperatures and see what they are also this sounds exactly like it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI3Jk1ugGGw so to fix it i could put my radiator on the top of my case and turn the fan around so it is intake then buy a new fan and put it at the back as exhaust or put an intake fan above the radiator what do you think?