Question My Computer Is Making A Weird Whistle Sound

Mar 23, 2019
<MODERATOR EDIT>

A condition of acquiring a new Membership is that you were required to read and agree to our Terms Of Use and Forum Rules!

Read First: Forum Rules:
Please don't...

Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!

Please comply!

HELLO

ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME?

I JUST CHANGED MOTHERBOARD TO GIGABYTE 470X AROUS GAMING WIFI 5, AND MY COMPUTER IS MAKING A WEIRD HIGH PITCHED SOUND.

I DONT KNOW WHERE IS COMING FROM. IT LAST LIKE 1 SECOND AND I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND WHAT STARTS IT: IF IS THE HEAVY LOAD OF WORK OR THE TEMPERATURE OR SOMETHING ELSE. IT DOES NOT HAPPENS WHILE GAMING SO FAR.

I ATTACHED A LINK TO MY GOOGLE DRIVE WHERE YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE RECORDING. YOU CAN HEAR IT MANY TIMES DURING THE RECORDING BUT THE EASIEST TO HEAR IS WHEN IT STARTS AT 60 SECONDS AND ENDS AT 61 SECONDS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AqYHiqZsc0Lp5BTmLE4JCv9uEAb65cLz/view?usp=sharing

THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave8671

Distinguished
Its most likely one of the fans in the case before it warms up bad bearings. I hope you installed two case fans? One in the front and one in the back. I had this higher pitched sound that after a bit of cover removed figured it was my gpu fan.

The way to find it is not that technical with the case cover off just stop each fan just when you start the pc not to long though. Once ithe noise stops you will know. Use a screw driver or a small piece of wood.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Coil whine

1st determine where it's emanating from :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DirFjf3OO4

1) If psu the only ways to get rid of it may be, try switching psu with a different model or placing a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) between the mains socket and computer. It might be caused by the ac power from the mains. Also gluing the coils with silicon glue (last resort, find electronics guy help for that, opening psu carries risk of electric shock).

2)If Mobo: Disable intel speedstep

3)If GPU: Limit frame rates

*There may be further information available thru searches to remedy this.

Mar 23, 2019
Coil whine

1st determine where it's emanating from :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DirFjf3OO4

1) If psu the only ways to get rid of it may be, try switching psu with a different model or placing a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) between the mains socket and computer. It might be caused by the ac power from the mains. Also gluing the coils with silicon glue (last resort, find electronics guy help for that, opening psu carries risk of electric shock).
2)If Mobo: Disable intel speedstep

3)If GPU: Limit frame rates

*There may be further information available thru searches to remedy this.

If it is the mobo: disabling the intel speedstep would still help even tough I have a 2° Ryzen?

DavidM012

Distinguished
Anything you try may or may not work or may only reduce the whine but think in the direction of reducing the load on the devices, such as frame rate limiter or cleaning up the power with a better quality psu or ups. Last resort is gluing the coil with silicon glue, Even that might not eliminate it 100%. Coil whine can occur on a wide range of devices since it could be related to the power source and/or quality of electronic components it may be the case that practically any device you operate on the mains power will have coil whine so switching components may not eliminate it either.

You can try disabling c-states on an amd board some said it worked others said it didn't. Different combinations of hardware might also be a factor or maybe even microscopic variations in the components between hardware items of the same model and brand so it's not going be like, you can press a button and make it go away, it's going to be trying several things until you figure it out.

Sketchy info on youtube <--- this video at 3.57 help on buying quality components blah... higher end vrms... jonnyguru etc search reviews for any mention of coil whine relating to components you purchased/plan to purchase. There isn't any way to be sure. If it's tested in an environment that has good ac power and it's a power issue moving it to an area that might have power issues might still produce coil whine. It isn't going to be easy to eliminate.

goku15

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Anything you try may or may not work or may only reduce the whine but think in the direction of reducing the load on the devices, such as frame rate limiter or cleaning up the power with a better quality psu or ups. Last resort is gluing the coil with silicon glue, Even that might not eliminate it 100%. Coil whine can occur on a wide range of devices since it could be related to the power source and/or quality of electronic components it may be the case that practically any device you operate on the mains power will have coil whine so switching components may not eliminate it either.

You can try disabling c-states on an amd board some said it worked others said it didn't. Different combinations of hardware might also be a factor or maybe even microscopic variations in the components between hardware items of the same model and brand so it's not going be like, you can press a button and make it go away, it's going to be trying several things until you figure it out.

Sketchy info on youtube <--- this video at 3.57 help on buying quality components blah... higher end vrms... jonnyguru etc search reviews for any mention of coil whine relating to components you purchased/plan to purchase. There isn't any way to be sure. If it's tested in an environment that has good ac power and it's a power issue moving it to an area that might have power issues might still produce coil whine. It isn't going to be easy to eliminate.
I once tryed this method with the glue (had a coil whine in my PSU). For me it didnt help, although i admit i did hurry quite alot so maybe i missed something and didnt apply glue to where it was needed. I did figure out that i had the coil whine only if i had connected a 6-pin power connector to my graphic card. I tryed installing in a GPU that didnt need the 6-pin power connector and then the coil whine went away.