My computer is taking forever to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobburnz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Not sure if this is in the right place but my computer is taking forever to boot.
My computer is running 32bit
2x2GB ram 1333mhz
Radeon HD5770 1GB gfx
Intel I5 sandybridge(3.33ghz)
WD 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache.

When I first built my computer It had a SUPER fast boot but about 4-6 months later it started to take about 10-15 mins to boot and it happened out of the blue. After a while it went back to normal, then It just started doing it again and it's annoying the living hell out of me. My norton is saying I have no viruses etc and I did a minimal check on the hardware and it says all the drivers are updated and are all working properly. I've removed unnecessary start-up programs. Reduced the timeout thing in MSconfig>boot to 5 seconds as suggested on another forum but it has done nothing. I've run hard drive clean ups and defrags, still no result. Also, if my computer isn't shut down correctly I have to run a start-up repair and restore my computer to an earlier date (I don't shut it down like that on purpose, I just trip over the power cord because I had to move my computer temporarily)

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :)

bobburnz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

I have no applications in the startup but in the MSconfig start up thing I'm just trying disable all then go through them one by on enabling to see if its any of those. BTW, I'm not computer pro. Just know a little :) so sorry If i don't really know how to do some things you suggest or ask :S

bobburnz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Oh, and sorry. Didn't see you were the same person :D

But no, I have no external HDDs plugged in during boot and my boot order is Internal HDD first.

If this helps to troubleshoot, My HDD usually makes a kind of "clicking" sound when it's active(loading). But about 95% of the time when it's booting it doesn't make that sound. As if it isn't actually loading the OS, it's just sitting idle or something.

32 Bit operating system, is that Win7, vista, or XP.
Reason for asking is that if it turns out to be the HDD, you cou use the Windows 7 backup program and image your C drive. Would not have to reinstall Windows and would not have to reinstall all programs. Altough it would probably be best to reinstall.

bobburnz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Woops, forgot to put 7 in :D Ill try the backup tool thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.