My computer is too slow

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Hey, guys, I bought my PC two years ago (aiming for mid-end):

The applications that are usually on are: Vivaldi/Firefox, iTunes and Tally in foreground and Steam and qBittorent in the background while stuff gets downloaded. For the first 1.5 years, my computer could manage the load without significant lag but for the past three months, it is terribly. Atrociously. It barely manages to open Firefox. Can't multitask. Takes several seconds just to open Task Manager (computer hung when I tried while writing this.)

I have an annual contract with a computer engineer who says that our computer can't handle so many processes which sounds like baloney because what's the point of a mid-end rig if it can't handle Firefox/Tally/qBittorent? (The applications mentioned earlier are max scenario; the current three being more likely).

I erroneously downloaded a Windows crack today which I thought to be genuine. The read-me file had 'lololol'. I did a malware scan which came clean and a virus scan which showed 7-9 suspicious files (I use eScan). The antivirus didn't delete the files so I deleted them manually through Everything.

With just Firefox and Steam open 89% of the memory is consumed.

What can the problem be?

Well since you download a lot of random stuff I would start with scanning with malwarebytes and see what that gives.

jatin3489

Commendable
May 5, 2018

Firefox has been clammed to use a lot of ram so i will advice to uninstall that and use chrome and update me if the conditions gets any better ?

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016

Are you agreeing then that my computer can't handle the load despite having an i5 processor and 4GB RAM?

I did the malware scan through MalwareBytes.

jatin3489

Commendable
May 5, 2018

Yur cpu is not issue as u can see its hardly being used 4 percent but on the ram side yea 4 gb is not that much of a sufficient one and also if u run ram hungry programs your computer tends to increase the size of you pagefile memory in order to ensure that there is enough room for other processes to accommodate !
I will recommend getting another 4 gb stick in your system or an 8 gb one if u bychance gets into gaming in future !

D JAY Cva

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
4gb is too low for latest windows 10 build , i suggest upgrading at least 8GB and get an SSD for OS and apps and stop using cracked apps and OS ... they contribute to spyware and malwares ...

zero infection by antivirus doesn't mean you are free from malwares ...

May 3, 2018
( i have 8gb of ram and with 6 chrome tabs and some low use apps 3GB ram is filled )
try to find apps which using your ram and if its possible go for ubuntu you can install steam and browser and simple tools for daily use if you dont use windows specifed app

bajgur

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
like others said, 4gb for win 10 is a bare minimum. not to mention youre using internal/onboard graphic.
ideally all computers using win 10 must have a minimum of 8gb RAM.
of course win 10 min requirement only 2gb (32bit) and 4gb (64bit), but bear in mind you will using others apps/software beside windows itself!

1) get a 500GB SSD for a system drive
2) reinstall OS from scratch to SSD, using genuine licence
3) upgrade RAM to at least 8GB, preferably 16

Afterwards, keep using updated antivirus software and do not install anything unless checked first.

That would make your rig... well... faster isn't the word, it would be lightning-fast as compared to this one.