[SOLVED] My Computer is Trying to Kill Itself (and me)

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
FYI: I have no idea how to use this site or where to post questions so sorry if I did it wrong.

**See specs at the bottom**

I decided to clean my computer (tower) by taking it apart and cleaning all the pieces individually (as I typically do every other month), but I have encountered a problem starting it.

Immediately after reassembling my computer, the fans, LEDs, hard drive, and PSU all started up, but my keyboard, mouse, and monitors showed nothing. To troubleshoot, I tried looking at many other articles and videos with the same problem, but none of the suggested methods worked...

I Tried:
Removing the motherboard battery and reinserting.
Checking all wires for damages.
Checking the motherboard for scratches, breaks, etc.
Making sure my RAM was installed correctly.

**Note** I couldn't try plugging my monitors into the motherboard's back panel as others suggested because my motherboard does not have any display ports, only USBs, ethernet, and speakers/mic.

After hours of trying to get my system to work, I decided to take out my heatsink and check my CPU to see if it was broken or anything. In the process, my reapplied thermal paste from earlier in the day stuck like concrete and I wound up pulling the CPU out with it still attached to the heatsink. I mention this part because I'm not sure if this would have damaged the motherboard somehow as it has one of those little bars on the side to lock/unlock it in place.
Anyway, I then checked the CPU, found no damages, and reinstalled everything.

Finally, I plugged my tower back in and powered it on to be greeted by the Red Light of Death on my PSU beside the "Self Test" button. The fans start for a second and then immediately everything shuts off. EDIT: I'd like to mention that I didn't even know my PSU had a light on it as I have never seen it lit up before.

I'm at a loss for what is wrong with my computer, mainly because I don't know WHICH part(s) are not working or what I possibly could have done wrong. I've spent a lot of money on this system and I've had it for years without issue, so if any advice can be given, I would be more than grateful.

**Specs**
x2 - MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards
x1 - MSI ATX DDR3 2133 Motherboard 970
x1 - Corsair AX1200i PSU
x1 - Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe Dual Fan Heatsink
x4 - Kingston HyperX FURY 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM RAM
x1 - A cheap Toshiba Hard Drive (1tb)
x6 - Fans of various brands and sizes

Solution
It looks like the CPU is the source of the No Post. The question now is if the motherboard was damaged during the incident with the stuck CPU cooler. Since you have high quality power supply, I never factored it in as a possibility. The simple test is to plug in a different power supply with the bare system. I am sorry to say but it is not looking too good for the motherboard and CPU.
Does the PSU pass the self-test with all the cables unplugged? Obviously, if it fails, then that is the problem. If it passes, the power supply is picking up a short somewhere. I suggest putting together a bare system (CPU, motherboard and memory) and testing it. That should narrow it down quite a bit.

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015

I ran the self-test with no cables plugged in and it ran fine, I connected the CPU cable and nothing happened, then I connected the motherboard cable too and the test did nothing (by nothing I mean the light did not come on at all). Then I tried starting the system from the power switch with both cables in, and it did the same as before: start for a second, stop, and red light.

The bare system failed. That narrows it down. Do you have access to another system to test your CPU and memory? Obviously, it has to have a compatible motherboard. If the CPU and memory works, then that leaves the motherboard as the culprit. While I do not think the memory is the cause of the failure, it is still worth checking to ensure that they still work.

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015

Luckily I still have my old desktop from a long time ago that happens to be the same socket type as my current one. I tested all 4 of my memory sticks and they all worked. I put in the CPU and everything turned on, but the monitor did not show anything - the same issue I was having when all of this started. I then plugged my old CPU into my current PC to test the motherboard, but I still got the start, stop, red light problem.

It looks like the CPU is the source of the No Post. The question now is if the motherboard was damaged during the incident with the stuck CPU cooler. Since you have high quality power supply, I never factored it in as a possibility. The simple test is to plug in a different power supply with the bare system. I am sorry to say but it is not looking too good for the motherboard and CPU.

Solution

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015

I tried a Corsair cx750 on my current system, no luck. I assume somewhere in my cleaning process I damaged the CPU somehow, and then the motherboard too while trying to fix it. The CPU still has a valid warranty so that shouldn't be a problem, but I guess i'll have to see about getting a new motherboard.

I am sorry to hear that. I would never discourage cleaning. Is there no visible damage that you can see? Do you see any bent, loose or discolored pins? By the way, what thermal paste did you use? I am surprised it stuck and hardened so quickly. I am guessing the reason is the paste never heated up. Good luck and I hope you get your system back up and running.

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015

I've inspected the CPU itself and have found no signs of damage whatsoever, same again for the motherboard. The thermal paste I have is a brand called "Thermaltake" which I've never heard of. I usually use the Noctua brand paste because it's what is recommended for my specific heatsink, but I ran out so I dug up this kind from an old box of spare parts. It was very hard to get it out of the syringe/tube .

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and quick response. This was an epidemic I don't think I would have been able to solve on my own.

I've seen plenty of videos and ive even done it myself of the cooler ripping out the CPU. It's somewhat common, and OP didn't do anything wrong.