[SOLVED] My computer is very slow when I boot it from it being off, but when I restart it after the initial boot, it's very fast immediately.

Mar 6, 2021
Hello everyone, my computer is doing something weird. I recently built my first PC and everything went smoothly for the most part. The problem I am currently experiencing is more annoying than anything else. When I turn my computer on from completely off, my computer runs very slowly, stutters, and lags with every program. To fix this problem, I restart my computer and it's blazing fast. I have updated every driver, windows 10 is up to date (free version), and I have turned off every startup app. I have even waited 10+ mins for anything to load just in case and still no luck. I boot windows from my m.2 SSD and that's the only thing on it. I have also disabled Windows fast startup and hibernate. Please help!
PC specs:
MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi
R5 5600x
1 TB SSD- only windows is on it; I have another ssd for games and apps
EVGA 3080
750W platinum PSU
32g RAM

TLDR: My computer is very slow when I boot it from it being off, but when I restart it after the initial boot, it's very fast immediately.

Reactions: nguyennah
Solution
No one thought, maybe we turn off this and see if it helps - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

My computer is very slow when I boot it from it being off, but when I restart it after the initial boot, it's very fast immediately.

if its fast after a restart but slow after a normal boot, its a driver that doesn't like fast start up.

A pc with fast start up on, is never off.
  • When you shut it down, its in a hibernate state.
  • When you turn it on, its waking up and half the data is preloaded to speed up start up.
The only time a PC with fast start up is actually off is during a restart.

This mode plays havoc with drivers not written for this new power state. Turning...

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add another question.

Reference: "When I turn my computer on from completely off, my computer runs very slowly, stutters, and lags with every program. "

How are you turning the computer on and off? What specifically do you do?

Mar 6, 2021
Nothing jumps at me with the speccy.
You have the latest bios did you also update the chipset driver?
Just for yuks test with xmp off.

The chipset is updated and the bios is updated to the latest non-beta version. I tried to replicate the problem with sleep/hibernate modes and it does the same thing where I have to restart the computer for it to be fast again.

Mar 6, 2021
OK....it was just a wag.....turn xmp back on.
Another wag.....power down......power up.....open task manager/processes.
It's normal to see activity for a few minutes but then things should go quiet.
What do you see?

From a cold boot, CPU "% utilization" is anywhere from 5%-70% randomly. Something called "System interrupter" pops up often too. From a restart, CPU utilization stays <10%

Mar 6, 2021
Do the same process using Resource Monitor.

I.e., cold boot, check, wait, restart.

Determine if CPU %'s are similar and/or there are other differences that you see.

On cold boot, CPU usage percentage spikes around 89% and hovers 20-60%. I'm about to do it again and take a picture of the culprits that use a high percentage of the CPU.

On a restart, CPU usage only spiked to 12% then was <5% entire time. None of the programs that are using high percentage of CPU on cold boot are running or at least showing on the restart.

@Bob.B Everything has been disabled this whole time.

Also, thanks for being patient and trying to troubleshoot this with me, I really appreciate it!

Ralston18

Titan
From a cold boot go immediately into Resource Monitor > CPU > Average CPU (column header).

You should see a small arrow that allows you to sort the output process results in descending order. Click to descending order and expand the listing to show as many process lines/rows as you can. Snip and post the window.

Then do the same after the reboot/restart.

Mar 6, 2021
From a cold boot go immediately into Resource Monitor > CPU > Average CPU (column header).

You should see a small arrow that allows you to sort the output process results in descending order. Click to descending order and expand the listing to show as many process lines/rows as you can. Snip and post the window.

Then do the same after the reboot/restart.

Reinstalled windows and still the same issue. I have also noticed the computer will not wake up from sleep or hibernate. Could this be a RAM issue? Settings are checked where my PC should wake up from kb/m.

Here's from a cold boot
View: https://imgur.com/s0AquiI

Here's the restart
View: https://imgur.com/19FB6Nq

Colif

Win 11 Master
No one thought, maybe we turn off this and see if it helps - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

My computer is very slow when I boot it from it being off, but when I restart it after the initial boot, it's very fast immediately.

if its fast after a restart but slow after a normal boot, its a driver that doesn't like fast start up.

A pc with fast start up on, is never off.
  • When you shut it down, its in a hibernate state.
  • When you turn it on, its waking up and half the data is preloaded to speed up start up.
The only time a PC with fast start up is actually off is during a restart.

This mode plays havoc with drivers not written for this new power state. Turning fast start up off means PC is actually off when you shut it down at night

I have also noticed the computer will not wake up from sleep or hibernate. Could this be a RAM issue?
sounds like a driver still.

Hibernate/sleep/Fast Start up all use the same processes. So if it affects one, it tends to do them all.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Realistically, even if we find a driver, you don't need fast start up on if you boot from an ssd, its only useful for people with hdd. SSD so fast you won't notice a difference. Win 10 should be smarter and automatically not use fast start up on PC that boot from solid state drives. I don't know how it can tell, maybe number of platters in the drive would be a clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralston18
Solution