My Computer is wicked loud

voldemort7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have a newly built computer and the only time the fans are quite is at idle. Whenever I run a game the fan noise goes way up. Is there a way to get my computer quiter? Ive listed my comp specs below. I even have all the internal casing fans set at low. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

case = Antec Three Hundred Illusion
mobo = GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3
vidoeo card = SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB
pcu = AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
ram = G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC3 10666)

using CPUID hardware monitor I found these temps:

mobo temp:
tmpin0 = 36 C
tmpin1 = 43 C
tmpin2 = 80 C (northbridge - from my understanding this is normal with the GA-870A-UD3?)

cpu temp:
core0 = 45 C
core1 = 45 C
core2 = 45 C
core3 = 45 C

harddrive temp = 28 C

video card temp = 52 C

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I am assuming those temps you quoted are @ idle?

CPU stock coolers can be loud.

I suspect most of your noise is coming from your VGA under load.

You can use MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision to manually set fan profiles.

If you do this, be careful as if you set the fan profile too low, you can damage your card and/or cause instability.

To compensate, add the optional side fan on your case.

This should help with airflow and keep your Northbridge temp lower.

voldemort7

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Sorry should have clarified. Those are the temps when playing a game. Idle is pretty much the same temperatures though (within about 3 degrees C). I looked into manually setting the fans through the bios but I don't want to create a possible instability.

When you ask about my cpu stock cooler, your talking about the heatsink right? Because I am using the stock heatsink.

Someone recommended I should get an Antec Spotcool and put it over my Northbridge? Should I try cooling my northbridge and/or getting a new heatsink?

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Those are the temps when playing a game.

If those are load temps, then I can't see any issues.

I looked into manually setting the fans through the bios but I don't want to create a possible instability.

You don't setup fan profiles in the BIOS. You need a program such as MSI Afterburner to make fan profiles.

When you ask about my cpu stock cooler, your talking about the heatsink right?

Yes.

Should I try cooling my northbridge and/or getting a new heatsink?

Your Northbridge temps are high but acceptable. Your PC should shut down automatically if temps reach 90C (from memory).

Usually, it's a TIMM issue. ie, the thermal compound between the motherboard and Northbridge heatsink is dried up or not making proper contact.

You could try to reapply the TIMM, but it would mean complete disassembly of all components. You could also void warranty by doing so.

I had a similar issue with my Rampage 3 Extreme board where Northbridge hit 90C and shut down after 1 minute.

I went through two RMAs. Finally, I got sick of it, and reapplied the TIMM myself.

Just monitor temps for now or add an extra 120mm case fan facing the Northbridge.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
So I should get an side fan not a heatsink correct?

IMO, a heat sink won't help much.

I use CoolerMaster 90CFM 120mm (LED).

For high end, Yate Loon 120mm (non LED).

Most 120mm fans come with rubber mounts and screws so it should fit the mounts on the side of your case.

TRENDING THREADS