My computer just like BLEW UP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Ok so i was trying to take my computer apart in preparation to install a new GPU. I unplugged everything accordingly, and when it came to the power cable, i had to unscrew it. when i unscrewed it, the wire inside touched the case i guess and when that happened smoke started flying everywhere and there were a bunch of sparks everywhere. Now it smells like crap. I was wondering, obviously my PSU got fried, but did the rest of the computer get damaged? (harddrive, motherboard, gpu). I guess i was supposed to unplug the power cable rather than unscrew it...(It was plugged when i unscrewed)

I'm gonna edit this guys, Since my computer WAS OFF as i did this, it shouldn't damage my components as they weren't drawing power right?

Well guys instead of telling me that my whole pc probably got fried or maybe im lucky, can someone tell me how to check reliably which parts work and which parts dont? thanks

Solution
Sorry, I didn't think that you meant you were trying to disconnect it from the wrong end. I misread that, but what I said does tend to stand.

That you meant you tried to physically dismantle the PSU could mean that the problem really does now exist on the half that is between PSU and PC and it *could* have fried your motherboard, but I am still thinking 2/3 likely or better that the PSU is the only thing you need to fix.

I wouldn't pay Geek Squad $90 an hour to fix this, btw. You might as well just buy all new parts.

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
First off if you don't know what you are doing then don't F'n touch. There are Bajillions of faqs on how to work on your comp. This is your own fault, now deal with the consequences. You Most likely fried, the PSU, MB, Proccessor, and prolly the Video card. Good luck with what ever you do, but you (inexperienced person trying to blindly work on a comp) shouldnt have touched it in the first place, and now your out a comp. lol. GL :)

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
It really sounds like your arched a wire, so you touched one live wire to another live wire. This has happened to me while doing live electrical demolition (stupid i know, but other trades needed power, so yeah....). Did the power or any breakers trip in your house?

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I still don't get why you didn't use your hand to unplug the socket from the wall. I have no idea how you saw unscrewing something attached to a case was easier/safer than just pulling a plug from a socket - something which was designed to be a safe process.

Everything would have went *much* smoother had you gone down that path.

Good luck on getting your PC running again :/

dont listen to all this dribble and just replace the power supply, you are never going to know what else is fried until you do this. there is no point replacing everything if you dont need to. You know you need to at least get a new PSU, so do that first. But really, turn the power off AT THE WALL before you plug in/unplug a power supply to prevent electricity arcing across.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

No, my houses lights didnt flicker, and my power outlet/brick is working fine

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

thanks man its a gaming pc i got for 550 bucks 7 months ago. But i also just bought 300 dollars worth of upgrades...

I just wanted to say that you most likely did not fry anything else with what you did, but I can't be sure.

Kinda like if you take your PC from America and go plug it in somewhere in Europe the power currents the wall is sending to the power supply are different and you will blow your PSU in like 1 second if you didn't flip that red switch in the back first.

If you do that, you just have to get a new PSU, the rest of your parts should be fine.

BTW, there are multiple off states. Off and not plugged in is not the same is off and plugged in. Unless you flip that off switch in the back of the PSU then off and plugged in means using only a little bit of power it doesn't mean using none. Just FYI.

Still, in my experience problems between wall and PSU tend to be separate from problems between PSU and PC and one doesn't affect the other.

I won't guarantee anything, that is just my experience.

- Edit - Typo

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Thanks for your imput man. Though the problem wasn't between wall and PC, it was when i pulled the power input thing (which was ATTACHED to my PSU, which itself was IN my PC)that caused my PC to spark and smoke, so any problems should be within the PC.
But i hope what you said was right. I'm going to take it to Bestbuy Geeksquad soon. Are they any good?

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

It didn't need unscrewing...I just thought it did because the power cord was stuck in the PSU lmao...

Sorry, I didn't think that you meant you were trying to disconnect it from the wrong end. I misread that, but what I said does tend to stand.

That you meant you tried to physically dismantle the PSU could mean that the problem really does now exist on the half that is between PSU and PC and it *could* have fried your motherboard, but I am still thinking 2/3 likely or better that the PSU is the only thing you need to fix.

I wouldn't pay Geek Squad $90 an hour to fix this, btw. You might as well just buy all new parts.

Solution

mobohobo

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
so did you try and unscrew this?
JVpvad.png

if so, then next time -
elvBhZ.png

G

After reading this thread, all I can say is... Don't do ANYTHING to your computer without help of someone who knows what he's doing. How exactly did you plan to change the graphic card if you don't even know how to unplug the computer?

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
when in doubt google, google the hell out of things :D :bounce: :D :bounce:

You just need to test your system, but you have to ask yourself: Do I have enough knowledge or mechanical ability to physically remove the psu and hook up another one?

edit- the bouncies mean nothing, I have just always liked them.

ericdude88

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
OK THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYSS!!!!!!!! MY COMPUTER IS UP AND RUNNING AFTER REPLACING THE PSU (which i did myself...). Thank all of you people who were positive and helpful rather than calling me dumb! It turns out it was just my crappy psu's power cable...But any way thanks so much! im so psyched to finally play bf3!

Status
Not open for further replies.