[SOLVED] My computer keeps crashing and is loud. I think it is because of my PSU

Aug 8, 2021
So I bought my pre-built computer a while ago and I didn't have any issues until around a month ago. My computer began to be very loud even though everything in the task manager was below 30%. My computer also started to crash fairly frequently, not giving any information on why and then getting stuck in the collecting data screen.

This has only got worse and now happens around 3 times a day. The loud fan noise also seems to mellow whenever I open the task manager. I recently noticed that the loudness of my fans somewhat correlated to the "Power Usage" in the task manager.
My specs are pretty good (48gb ram, ryzen 7, 2070 super) and the task manager is fine except for the power usage so that is why I think it is related to the PSU.

Thanks.

Solution
You will need to open the case and look at the sticker (usually) located on the side of the power supply. Additionally, while you're in there, check to see how much dust is attached to the fans on your CPU and discrete GPU.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You will need to open the case and look at the sticker (usually) located on the side of the power supply. Additionally, while you're in there, check to see how much dust is attached to the fans on your CPU and discrete GPU.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Aug 8, 2021
Full system specs?

Correct, software cannot see what PSU you have in most cases. You will have to open your computer case and look at the label on the side of the power supply to identify it.

-Wolf sends

Alright, I'll check it out. Last time I opened my PC it was pretty dusty, even on the fans. I cleaned a lot out in general but I could only access one of the fans because I was installing ram. The others are probably pretty dusty.

Aug 8, 2021
You have a miner malware.

I did think about that, so I did a windows defender and malwarebytes scan. Windows defender came up with nothing and malwarbytes gave me the option to quarantine some files but I couldn't see what they were. I did it anywhy but nothing has changed. If I do have a miner malware, what would be my next step?

So I bought my pre-built computer a while ago and I didn't have any issues until around a month ago. My computer began to be very loud even though everything in the task manager was below 30%. My computer also started to crash fairly frequently, not giving any information on why and then getting stuck in the collecting data screen.

This has only got worse and now happens around 3 times a day. The loud fan noise also seems to mellow whenever I open the task manager. I recently noticed that the loudness of my fans somewhat correlated to the "Power Usage" in the task manager.
My specs are pretty good (48gb ram, ryzen 7, 2070 super) and the task manager is fine except for the power usage so that is why I think it is related to the PSU.

Thanks.

That's not power supply related.

Latest posts