[SOLVED] My computer keeps freezing for some reason

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
CPU: Intel 8700K Coffee Lake (1151)
Motherboard: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB
Samsung 970 EVO 512GB M2
EVGA Geforce 2080 Ti 11GB
Corsair K80 Rapidfire Keyboard
Corsair RGB Nightsword Gaming Mouse
Seagate 12 TB Hard Drive
Western Digital 6TB Hard Drive
Intel Wifi Ac 8325 Network Adapter
Corsair TX850M Power Supply
Cooler Master Master Liquid ML240R Liquid Cooler
Windows 10 Home Version 1903

It started a week ago not sure why? I just reinstalled windows 10 home and it still keeps freezing when i'm doing anything gaming, browsing the web, anything. I tested the memory and no problems. The only thing I really change was network adapter that came with the board. I'm running the latest version of bios 7b45v8. I have had the seagate since feb 2018.

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Remove all peripheral devices and boot Windows in normal mode to see if the issue is still there. If it isn't connect the peripherals one by one and restart each time. I've had a faulty keyboard once that made my system not boot at all! And multiple systems that is.

Aug 24, 2019
you'd be surprised how many people come on asking for similar advice who then have an illegal windows installed, just had to eliminate the possibility.

I have recently started getting a freezing/ lag type of issue?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cv4e5u/bsods_510_second_freeze_w_laggy_mouse_memtest86/

I have a normal install of windows but have a 3rd party key? Would that cause the issue Im having? I doubt it, especially not the BSOD's anyway but thought I'd try and get a little bit of added advice :)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have recently started getting a freezing/ lag type of issue?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/cv4e5u/bsods_510_second_freeze_w_laggy_mouse_memtest86/

I have a normal install of windows but have a 3rd party key? Would that cause the issue Im having? I doubt it, especially not the BSOD's anyway but thought I'd try and get a little bit of added advice :)
Welcome to the forums my friend, could you please start this on your own thread, so you can get full expertise from the forum and it will prevent any railroading of the current thread :) then I'd be happy to try and help on there (juggling quite a few at the moment!).

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have been in safe mode for 2 hours it hasn’t freezed
This is what we wanted to see really, it could be a peripheral or network driver as I stated earlier and some above have reiterated.

I'm wondering if a clean boot will also help, this should disable all drivers and if this still stops the freezing, you can gradually reenable them until you find the cause - I'd be looking at peripherals and network drivers.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
This is what we wanted to see really, it could be a peripheral or network driver as I stated earlier and some above have reiterated.

I'm wondering if a clean boot will also help, this should disable all drivers and if this still stops the freezing, you can gradually reenable them until you find the cause - I'd be looking at peripherals and network drivers.

I am going to do a clean boot and install one driver in at a time

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
I'm back it's not fixed it just did some weird stuff. I was looking at a video on wwe.com and it was stuttering and then the computer just restarted. I didn't see any blue screen. When I try to access the bluray drive to install games, it would freeze and I had to turn it off and on. I tried to access the bluray drive several times but then it let me access the bluray drive to install a game. I'm going to try to do process of elimination and reinstall windows one device at a time. I tested the memory twice and found no errors. it freezes randomly now. I'm about to buy a new motherboard and see if that fixes it or not. Not sure what else is causing it.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
Are you using the on-board network adapter or an external card you replaced it with?

I'm using a pci express network adapter. I took the Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe SSd out and put windows on 12tb to test it to see what it does. So far it hasn't messed up. I'm going to give it a few days and see what happens. I'm thinking it's the hard drive

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm using a pci express network adapter. I took the Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe SSd out and put windows on 12tb to test it to see what it does. So far it hasn't messed up. I'm going to give it a few days and see what happens. I'm thinking it's the hard drive
Are you able to run without the adapter?
I'd be tempted to do so if you can being as some previous problems appeared to be network related.

Gotcha. So that wireless card that came with the board, did you happen to look in the BIOS and see if there are any options for it (like turning it off)? I took a glance at the manual and only see options for the hardwired LAN controller, but sometimes those manuals do skip parts.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
Gotcha. So that wireless card that came with the board, did you happen to look in the BIOS and see if there are any options for it (like turning it off)? I took a glance at the manual and only see options for the hardwired LAN controller, but sometimes those manuals do skip parts.
There's nothing in the bios just to turn off LAN controller but nothing on the wireless. I already reinstalled windows 10 on 12TB and test for a few days and see what it does. So far it's done good. I never use the network on the motherboard ever.

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
There's nothing in the bios just to turn off LAN controller but nothing on the wireless. I already reinstalled windows 10 on 12TB and test for a few days and see what it does. So far it's done good. I never use the network on the motherboard ever.
It’s not the m2 hard drive it just froze again. I’m going to unplug the keyboard and see what happens. Good thing I have a backup keyboard

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
Turn off the network port, since you aren't using it anyway.
It's been off the since day one when I first bought the board. I unplug the keyboard and it froze again. So now i'm using wd software to test the hard drive it passed the basic test now I am running the extended test to see if it passes. i'm also using seatools for the Seagate hard drive it passed all test now doing the long generic test on the hard drive and see what happens. If they both come back passed. it ain't the hard drives. I only have 3 devices left. Wifi Network Adapter, mouse, and power supply. I doubt it is the power supply. the only other thing is motherboard.

Did I read that correctly that it freezes when you unplug the keyboard? Can you trigger this every time? Is it just the keyboard or can other USB devices cause this too? Which USB port is the keyboard plugged into (a part on the case, a port on the board)?

briblo1982

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2015
Did I read that correctly that it freezes when you unplug the keyboard? Can you trigger this every time? Is it just the keyboard or can other USB devices cause this too? Which USB port is the keyboard plugged into (a part on the case, a port on the board)?
i'm sorry I didn't say it right. After it froze I unplug the keyboard and reinstall windows to see if it would froze again and it did freeze again. I plug the keyboard into the usb port on the board. It's not the keyboard. So i'm going to try a different mouse and see if it freezes again. if it does then there's 3 devices left video card, wifi network adapter, and power supply. Or the motherboard itself. I'm testing the hard drives now to see if there's a problem. So far the hard drive has passed each test.

Last edited: