My computer keeps locking up after about 30mins

computermanchad

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I just built this brand new system. What I have put in it is Intel i7 processor. My mother board is the Asus Rampage 2 Extrem. I have 6 DDR3 sticks of 2Gig Ram each total of 12 gigs. I have one ATI Radeon 2900 seriers video card. One sound card that came with the mother board. 2 1.5 TB hard Drives 1 Blue Ray reader and DVD writer, And 1 DVD Writer 1 850 Watt Power Supply and 1 550 Watt Power supply I have 4 Chasis Fans and the system also has a Liguide Cooling system. My core Temp never goes above 100 degress F.

I have Windows Vista Ultima Installed and now much else on there. The system with work fine for a while and after about 30 min of just running in Idle it will lock up. Or if I try to do a Windows update or try to install anything. My system is not over clocked or anything I don't know have to do that. Every thing is set to Auto in the BIOS I've updated the bios. I just really about ready to go mad. I baught al of this for nothing because I can't get nothing to work.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Why do you have 2 separate PSUs to power your system?

AFAIK, 850W is enough to power your system. Actually, it is too much already. Try using only a single PSU to power everything.

computermanchad

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

I tried thAT ALREADY THATS WHY i BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE i THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM
not having enough power.

tobensg

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Definately a temp issue. You say the core temp never goes above 100 degrees, but is the core temp close to 100? It should be around 30/40 at Idle, and higher when under load. Download CPUz, this will give you a better overview of you CPU and temps.

tobensg, he said 100 F. That's a bit less than 40 C.

I can think of several possibilities:
Power problems - you have not told us PSU specs
CPU temperature problems - maybe the heatsink is not installed properly -
GPU temperature problems
Memory problems - maybe one of your sticks introduces a mem problem to the system
Software driver problems

2112Video

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I just bought the same mobo, i7 920 cpu, 3 x 2 Gig Patriot 1333 ram, Vista Home Premium 64, SP1 installed.

My computer will boot EVERY TIME with no problem, but after anywhere between 10 min and a couple of hours it will "freeze." Just freeze. Doesn't do anything odd, shut down or restart. Only way to restart is to hold down the power button for several seconds.

I too have all my settings to factory default.

I'm currently running IntelBurnTest v2.3 and seeing no trouble after 2 test runs.

RAM tests are fine.

When I run the test to get my WIndows Experience score it locks up every time on the CPU test.

I have a new Thermaltake PS (700 Watt) as well.

Changed out vid card from 9800GTX+ to new 250 card with 1gig.. Still having exact same trbl.