My computer keeps shutting down when i play games

animuskid

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
The problem is that my computer keeps hard shutting down when i play smite and sometimes skyrim. i dont believe it is a cooling issue as when i put my hand on the computer it doesn't feel too hot. My components are:
AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
Nvidia GTX 660
16GB RAM
GA-78LMT-USB3
Corsair 750w

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Use software like speccy to monitor your cpu/gpu temperatures and report back, this definitely sounds like an overheat issue.

I would also check the ram sticks, had a friend who was going through the same trouble and it turned out that one of his RAM sticks was faulty

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Overheating usually leads to throttling, not random hard shutdowns. It's still a good idea to check your temps though, just to rule it out. It sounds to me like it's definitely a PSU issue. Which series of Corsair PSU do you have? If it's a VS or CX, I recommend buying a new EVGA Supernova G2 750W. If it's anything else like a CS or RM, it might have to be RMAd, but I'm not sure yet. It MIGHT be a RAM issue as stated above. Try running memtest86 overnight, for many many passes, and if you get any errors the RAM must be replaced or RMA'd. :)

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

PC's usually tend to shut down when the CPU overheats, gotta remove the variables first before we jump to conclusion. It could be a PSU issue too but we have to get rid of the temperate or faulty ram variables first

animuskid

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

I'm playing binding of isaac at the moment (which is pretty much all i can play now) and the CPU temp is 54-60 degrees celsius.

animuskid

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Tried running smite and checking the temperatures first and my CPU hit 70 degrees so i stopped playing. i'm guessing that means it could be a CPU problem as it was still getting hotter

Alex Kelly

Honorable

That is very hot. Can you confirm that the heatsink is secured properly and the thermal paste is spread evenly across the CPU? :)

TRENDING THREADS