My computer keeps shutting down!

JoeVonWilson

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
This is starting to worry me, as it is my first time building a PC and I've had it about 4 months now. But after recently buying a sound card, whenever I play a game (primarily DotA 2) it just crashes now and then, and I cannot get it too turn back on. It takes about 10 minutes to want to reboot and I always end up with abandoned games (this is not my concern, however) If you need my specs, they are:

CPU: Intel I3 3220
GPU: Asus HD 7850
MoBo: Asus P8Z77-v lx
PSU: Corsair cx600
RAM: 4gb Corsair Vengeance
HDD: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX 5.1

I think this is all you need, but if not, just say.

Please note: I don't think anything is overheating, but the only thing that gets pretty hot after it crashes is the Power Supply. My theory is that because my GPU is just above the PSU, not only is the heat from the PSU being generated, but the heat exhausting from the GPU is also making a difference. I really anticipate your answers, and they are appreciated.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
As I understand it, the issue began after installing the sound card. If so, then first make sure that the on-board audio processor is disabled. if it is then Try removing the new card and uninstalling the drivers and see what happens

JoeVonWilson

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

Yes, you're completely correct. I will do this now and get back to you with the results (obviously this will take a few days, as I want to be sure)

leo2kp

Distinguished
Could be overheating PSU. A good PSU is over 80% efficient, so under full load they still shouldn't be putting out a ton of heat. Take a look at how it's installed, make sure the air intakes aren't being blocked. That PSU has a 120mm fan, so if your GPU has the two fans blowing hot air sideways, the PSU could be sucking that hot air in if the PSU fan is pointing upward. You may want to reposition it to suck air from the bottom of the case. What case do you have, out of curiosity?

JoeVonWilson

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013

The PSU is sucking air out of the bottom, and exhausting air out the back. And my case is the Zalman Z11

jb6684

Distinguished
No way that Corsair power supply should be getting hot...
- You did install the Corsair so it suck cool air in from the bottom of the case, so..
- Is the fan in the PSU running? Does it speed way up while gaming?
- If you have a Zalman Z11, check to see if the dust filter on the bottom of the system is clogged.
- AND, assure you have at least an inch of clearance under the computer (if you have it sitting on high pile carpet, that won't work...)

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think there's anything wrong with the PSU either. Because the crashes started after the new sound card was installed. It could be an issue with the Xonar drivers if that's the case, then reverting back to the on-board audio would solve the crashes completely. You can also download the Uni Xonar driver drivers and see if they fix the issue.