Question My computer keeps slowing down randomly. What could be causing it?

Yeeties

Commendable
Jul 1, 2019
Good afternoon everyone.

So about a month ago I've been having an issue with my computer. I'll be using it and it will just suddenly slow down. Applications will not close, buttons on my taskbar won't open save for the start menu. I'll even shut down my computer through the start button or with the ctrl+alt+dlt menu and it will attempt to shut down but won't, staying on the shut down screen for well over 10+ minutes before I have to force a shut off with the power button. What makes this all weird, though, is that after I've done a forced shut down and turned my computer back on everything runs smoothly and I will not have that issue again for the rest of the day. This doesn't happen every day on my computer but it does happen enough that it's become concerning.

My specs are:
-Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz
-32GB of DDR3200 Ram
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
-ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II

Could it be old hardware? The motherboard and ram are fairly new, having bought them late last year, but the graphics card was a hand me down from well over 6 years ago (and who knows how long my friend had had it for) and the processor was something I bought around the time the chip was released. Both have been used heavily as I'm almost always glued to my computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include:

PSU: make, model, wattage, age , condition (original, new, refurbished, used). History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Overall, my thought is that the system stays on because it is trying to do some update, backup, etc...

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events being captured at/during shutdown.

Look in Update History for any problem updates/installs.

While using the computer open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time).

Keep the window open to observe system performance to determine what changes when the computer slows down.

It may take some trial and error to figure out how to watch what is going on and narrowing down to some specific focus.

Just take your time, be methodical. Keep some notes. If gaming - remember the objective is not to win the game. Play as normal while keeping the observation window open.

The objective is to detect a slowdown and discover what resource(s) are involved.

= = = =

Another thing you can do:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

= = = =

Could also be corrupted or buggy files. Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Jan 22, 2022
Hey i have the same issue, have you updated armoury crate last version ?

TRENDING THREADS