My computer only has 4gb of ram when 2 4gb sticks are installed

Oct 20, 2018
Recently I noticed a massive performance drop on my PC, and after some searching, I found that my computer is only detecting 1 of my 2 sticks of 4gb ram. It is a completely stock HP Pavilion p7-1221b running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. What should I do? I know some things about computers but I'm not that good as I'm only 13. I thought about removing the sticks and putting them back in, but I wanted some suggestions first. Thanks!

TheDestinyHunter

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hi,

Just from briefly reading, it sounds like it could be an issue with either the motherboard or the ram. How many ram slots does the motherboard have? You could try to use 1 stick in each slot to see if you get any response. If 1 stick works in both slots, then it's likely to be a faulty stick of ram but if you try to do this with the other stick and you can't get anything from the PC, I'd say that it's ram. If the stick works in one slot but not the other, then it's most likely a motherboard problem.

Regards

Oct 20, 2018

It has 2 slots, both filled.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
I would pull them both out and reseat them in case one has become unseated.
If that doesnt fix it then as "thedestinyhunter" above said try each stick in DIMM slot 1, one at a time and try and boot. If it will not boot with one stick but will with the other then it is the RAM card that is the problem, if they both work but not when in Slot 1 & 2 then it is the DIMM slots on your motherboard that have failed.

Oct 20, 2018

Ok, I'll try that soon, when I have time.

Oct 20, 2018

As I said before, I'm not that good at tech. So, what's the mb and how long should I wait for it to drain?

Oct 20, 2018

Do you mean the light on the back next to where the power supply is plugged in?

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Your motherboard should have a bright orange light on it after you disconnect the power for 5-10 seconds. If your seeing any light on the Motherboard its getting power. If you dont see any light when you disconnect i would wait 30 seconds before putting my hand in there. Also, please make sure your not standing on carpet when touching the Motherboard, generates Statis Electricity and could fry your MB.

Oct 20, 2018
Ok, this is interesting but my computer fixed itself. Today, after I had moved my computer when I turned it on, it seemed faster, so I checked the properties and sure enough, it was 8gb. So, jay.wooster was right, one of them was unseated. I guess the little nudge it got when I set it down was enough to reseat it. Thanks for the help guys! It really would have helped if it hadn't fixed itself!

TRENDING THREADS