Question My computer only has an Ethernet driver installed, Does that mean I can only use Ethernet to use internet?

Oct 1, 2019
Here is the PC. I found a 10 year old PC in storage and I'm trying to get it to work again. In Device Manager under Network adapters the only thing it shows is NIVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet.
I don't want to use an ethernet for internet. So how do I go about getting WiFi on this computer? Since this PC is so old is the only way to buy an external WiFi adapter?

Here is the PC. I found a 10 year old PC in storage and I'm trying to get it to work again. In Device Manager under Network adapters the only thing it shows is NIVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet.
I don't want to use an ethernet for internet. So how do I go about getting WiFi on this computer? Since this PC is so old is the only way to buy an external WiFi adapter?
Yes, internal or external (USB) adapter, how else if there's no WiFi onboard ???

onespeedbiker

Notable
Apr 13, 2019
Advise PC make and model and windows version. Just becasue you only have an Ethernet driver loaded, doesn't mean there is no internal wifi, however if there is an internal wifi adapter with out the proper driver, it would likely show up as an unknown device, or it may be wifi upgradable. Otherwise there are some great and quite cheap USB wifi adapter that would likely be much faster than the internal wifi of a 10 year old PC.

Oct 1, 2019
Advise PC make and model and windows version. Just becasue you only have an Ethernet driver loaded, doesn't mean there is no internal wifi, however if there is an internal wifi adapter with out the proper driver, it would likely show up as an unknown device, or it may be wifi upgradable. Otherwise there are some great and quite cheap USB wifi adapter that would likely be much faster than the internal wifi of a 10 year old PC.
Thanks any wifi adapter recommendations?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The vast majority of desktop PC's, both old and new, do not have any built in WiFi.

If you want/need WiFi, you need to buy a USB or PCIe WiFi adapter.

vyrule

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
If you have the expansion slots, I would recommend one of these, fantastic little card and very cheap... then you'll have wifi (Windows finds the drivers itself - its pretty good at that these days) Febsmart Dual Band

lynx1021

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
I bought a TP-Link Mini - AC600 USB 2.0 Wifi Adapter for my laptop when the built-in wi-fi wouldn't do more than 50 Mbs on a 100 Mbs connection. The TP-Link Mini - AC600 USB 2.0 Wifi Adapter does 95Mbs now.
And Wildcracksopen your link to the PC doesn't work.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS