Question My computer periodically shuts down - but none of the obvious causes seem to apply!

Jul 23, 2020
My (home built - specs below) Windows 10 desktop has recently begun shutting down (& rebooting) without warning - at two different times: when I first turn it on in the morning (often twice within the first few minutes) and then at the end of a long period of use (usually with gradually increasing frequency).

Following the advice I've picked up from this and other sites, I've checked for the following things:

Overheating (Using: HWiNFO64, CoreTemp and Corsair iCue)
Bad memory card (Using mem test & swapping the cards)
Loose connections
Swapped out the power supply
Checked all fans are functioning
Swapped out Graphics cards.

None of these strategies have revealed the problem - although after doing all this the problem seemed to improve for about 10 days before deteriorating once again.. I am at my wit's end and really hoping the collective genius on this site can help me solve the problem.

At the moment I am leaning towards either a gradually deteriorating power supply (Corsair AX1500i) or some overheating problem (poorly mounted water cooler on the CPU that is somehow not showing up on diagnostics software?). Unfortunately, the fact that it shuts down almost immediately on start-up most days would suggest this maybe isn't the problem. As you can see, I am really stuck for a solution and it's a really annoying trait.

I am running:

ASUS ROG Maximus X10 Hero
with an Intel i7-8700K (3.70GHz) CPU
32 Gig of RAM
ROG Strix GTX 1650 (X 2)
Corsair AX1500i
Win 10 (64-bit)

(I should also say that this configuration hasn't changed recently, in that all parts were in from the beginning)

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

Jul 23, 2020
I checked the flow by checking with my hand but did clean the grills. I have the box basically open now so I don't think it's airflow.

Thanks for the tip about the Event Viewer! I've checked that in the past but will look again.

Jul 23, 2020
Ok, now I remember why I didn't learn much from the Event Viewer last time I looked: I don't know what it is telling me.

The dialog box tells me what I already know: the system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.
The event ID is 41 Task Category (63) Level Critical Keywords (70368744177664) (2)

Can anyone tell me what this means?! I've searched these keywords, but the result just bring me back to the causes I listed in the initial inquiry.

Event Log Online Help just takes me to a generic MS "How can we help you page".

* Ironically, the system crashed while I was typing this reply!

power supply (Corsair AX1500i)
water cooler on the CPU
ASUS ROG Maximus X10 Hero Motherboard
Intel i7-8700K (3.70GHz) CPU,
32 Gig of RAM
two ROG Strix GTX 1650 Graphics Cards.
That's such a weird system.

1500W PSU on a system that requires ~500W? Why?
Do you have like 20 hard drives in there?

Why 2 graphics cards?

Liquid cpu cooler on non-overclocked system? Again Why? Custom loop or AIO? What model? How old?

Jul 23, 2020
Ok, now I remember why I didn't learn much from the Event Viewer last time I looked: I don't know what it is telling me.

The dialog box tells me what I already know: the system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.
The event ID is 41 Task Category (63) Level Critical Keywords (70368744177664) (2)

Can anyone tell me what this means?! I've searched these keywords, but the result just bring me back to the causes I listed in the initial inquiry.

Event Log Online Help just takes me to a generic MS "How can we help you page".

* Ironically, the system crashed while I was typing this reply!

Have you got something like icue running as this can sometimes cause an issue. Also try this solution:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ted-into/58170773-6dde-4c00-9bbe-dd8af77d5445

Make sure all you intel motherboard drivers are up to date...

I've disabled the fast boot option in the power supply settings. I believe all my motherboard drivers are up to date - will double-check. I will update the Bios (again) also.

Jul 23, 2020
Si
Can't single ROG Strix GTX 1650 support 3 screens?
How old Corsair H1001? Could be problems with water pump, clogged cpu block.

Single GTX GPU can only support 2 screens - & only one HDMI. The Corsair pump is maybe 2 years old max. I have suspected the pump/cpu block but CoreTemp suggests it's not the problem. I've been avoiding it but maybe I need to remount the CPU cooler?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Si

Single GTX GPU can only support 2 screens - & only one HDMI. The Corsair pump is maybe 2 years old max. I have suspected the pump/cpu block but CoreTemp suggests it's not the problem. I've been avoiding it but maybe I need to remount the CPU cooler?
Do you have Asus AI installed? if so uninstall it.

Event 41 is a real pain it can be anything form a part failure to a simple driver / software issue and anything between.

Jul 23, 2020
Thanks, no, I no longer have Asus Ai installed. I do have Corsair iCue installed. The curious thing there is when I check the device performance (on iCUe) for my power supply it often reads 0W Power Out. Which leads me to wonder if the power supply is faulty - but it too is less than 2 years old.

Jul 23, 2020
Still living with this problem, nothing I've tried have solved the problem.

But, I have noticed that the shut-downs happen at the same time every day: on start-up (usually 2-3 times in the first minutes of use) and then again, after about six hours of trouble-free use - every 30-40 minutes or so - with gradually increasing frequency - until I give up and shut the machine down for an hour or two (& the cycle begins again).

At this point, I don't know if it's the cooler not seated properly on the CPU or a malfunctioning power supply. I feel like I have eliminated everything else.

Does anybody have any ideas?