My computer randomly crashes to a random colored screen

Aug 21, 2018
Three days ago i reset my windows (keeping all files). My computer has since been crashing to a random colored screen mostly black or white. It does not matter what i am doing at that moment, it happens while browsing the internet, playing games or just being idle on my desktop. The only way to restart the computer is by holding down the power button and turning it back on. Sometimes it crashes 2 minutes after booting it back up, but sometimes longer like 1 hour. Something else i have noticed since these crashes have been happening is that my computer fans sometimes start spinning really fast for about a half second and then go back to normal fan speed. I first thought that this was a software issue, since this all started happening after the windows reset. But i have since reinstalled my windows again a wiped my C drive. 5 minutes after this reinstall while installing windows and gpu drivers it crashed again same issue. Temperatures are normal nothing unusual.

My computer specs:

Intel Core i7 5820K - 3.3 GHz

Gigabyte GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD

Kingston HyperX FURY - DDR4

Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Perfomance Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition

EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified

Thank you for anyone willing to help!

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
https://support.eset.com/kb2268/
Try to enter safe mode and see if you face the same issues, If you face the same issue in safe mode then it is a hardware problem otherwise it is happening because of software failure or corrupted windows or driver file.

Aug 21, 2018
Oke, I started my computer in safe mode I will keep it running for the whole day and see if the same issues occur.

two hours have now past. I have had no issues in safe mode, also the fans don't start randomly spinning really fast for half a second. So whatever is causing these issues I don't know, but in safe mode nothing happens. What should I do next? I already reinstalled windows twice and installed the latest drivers for my gpu.

1 hour later: I tried to launch without safe mode again, pc starts i go to check if there are any new mobo drivers, but while im doing this the pc crashes again to a black screen. I turn it off again by holding the power button and try to start it 10 minutes later, it won't give a signal to my monitor now. Keyboard and mouse turn on (rgb) and caps lock icon changes. Right now i don't know what to do it's not starting anymore tried twice. No signal to monitor at all. I will wait for new answers before i do anything else....

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Since your PC is working Fine in safe mode, it looks like driver issue or a corrupted file.
To find out if its GPU driver issue you can remove the GPU from PCI E slot and use the integrated GPU on mobo and see if you face the same problems and let us know what you find out.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Also update the BIOS to latest if you havn't done it yet
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99S-SLI-Krait-Edition#down-bios

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ don't add another unknown to the situation. Assuming that the computer was working fine on the current BIOS you don't want to take a chance that changing that is going to help. Get it running again, first.

By what you are saying I suspect your GPU is having a driver issue.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Having latest BIOS is as important as rest of the things are, sometimes older BIOS are not able to allow PC to provide enough power to GPU and cause problems like these but Yes, Update the BIOS in case of NO other troubleshooting helps.

Aug 21, 2018
Thank you both for your answer, but as i said in my latest update i don't know why, but i don't get any signal on my monitor everything else seems to be working fine.. so i cannot really do anything. Is there something i could do on the motherboard to try and get it to give a signal to the monitor again?

Thanks!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
mhts gave an excellent suggestion above about trying the onboard graphics. Have you tried that yet?

Beyond that, what led to your wanting to reset OS the first time?
Did you take anything apart when you did that? Move the computer around a bit? Anything?

Make the system as simple as possible, onboard graphics, one stick of RAM even, just the OS drive. See if will boot and stay stable while you add peripherals back to system with GPU last.

Aug 21, 2018
I did not take anything apart or move the computer while resetting windows.

I will try to launch my computer again without the GPU and i will also remove 3 out of 4 ram sticks.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Yes, Start the Pc with bare minimum parts required and start to add the components one by one.
For the GPU thing, use the onboard GPU just to find out if the gpu is causing it or something else.
(If everything works fine with onboard GPU then you can start to troubleshoot accordingly)

Aug 21, 2018
So after checking everything, i have come to the conclusion that the GPU is not working anymore. Looks like it had some issues that was causing the random crashes to random colored screens, but now it is fully broken and won't give any signal at all to the display. Is it worth checking whats broken or is it even possible to repair the GPU, since it was working two days ago? I launched my PC with an old GPU (gtx 645) and it worked. So i am pretty sure that it's the GPU. Should i buy a new one? is it possible to repair it? The GPU was bought 2 years and 8 months ago (just out of the 2 year warranty..)
If so should i wait for the comparisons between the 2080 ti and 1080 ti? I mainly use my PC for gaming.

Thanks

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

I am not sure if it can be "repaired" if the product is under warranty, the manufacturer replace the whole card in ost cases because it's not repairable and repairing will cost a lot of time and money.
But yes, If it's possible then go ahead and get it repaired.