Question My computer randomly locks up, the mouse begins to lag, the PC freezes and everything runs slow then black screens. What is this?

Sep 16, 2019
I built a PC back in October/November and while it runs very well, it has an odd and worrisome problem that pops up rarely.

I'll be doing something, usually playing a game but just now it was idling and the monitor was asleep and I woke it up. The problem is that the computer begins to lag in general, the mouse begins to freeze up and eventually stops working, the program lags then freezes completely, and then it eventually goes to a black screen and I'm forced to power the PC down with the power button. This happens very rarely, maybe 4 or 5 times since I built it and I found that if I'm quick enough, I can sign out of my account on Windows and log back in and it runs fine.

Normally it happens when playing older games like Civ 5 and Crusader Kings 2 but today it happened without a game running. This time I had the sense to record the time it happened and look at the event viewer when the PC booted back up. Here are the events that occurred around the time of the crash, in the order of earliest occurred in the time the crash happened:

-Error DistributedCOM Event ID 10010 (happened 13 times in a row).
-Warning OVRServiceLauncer Event ID 0
-Error Application Error Event ID 1000
-another OVRServiceLauncher
-Error Service Control Manager Event ID 7031
-Error Kernel-EventTracing Event ID 2
-another OVRServiceLauncher
-Error EventLog Event ID 6008
-Critical Kernel-Power Event ID 41

I have no idea what these mean really... Could anyone shed some light on what might be going on? Could a component be failing?

My specs are:
Z97 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
2x8 GB Gskill RAM
EVGA RTX 2070 Super
AMD Ryzen 3700x
PSU is a higher end Seasonic with 850w gold rated I believe (not 100% on the efficiency rating).

Thank you

I would open your case and check all cable connections. It doesn't take much. A badly connected cable. Last night someone had a similar issue and it was one of his PSU cable that was melted.

What are your temperatures for your CPU and GPU at idle and load?

Sep 16, 2019
I would open your case and check all cable connections. It doesn't take much. A badly connected cable. Last night someone had a similar issue and it was one of his PSU cable that was melted.

What are your temperatures for your CPU and GPU at idle and load?

I'll do that, thanks. So just check and make sure all cables are properly connected? Are there any concerns of hardware failure? A melted cable would suck. Let's say I ignored this problem, could it manifest into a serious issue down the road?

My GPU temps at idle/light use are 37c-42c and under load the highest I've seen it go was 76c

The CPU temps at idle/light load are 36-40c but usually closer to 36-37 and under load, I've never seen them exceed 57c.

I'm a bit neurotic and am kinda scared, reluctant to mess with the hardware now that it's assembled... I was the same way with my old PC, I built one with the intention of upgrading down the road but was too worried I'd mess it up and never upgraded.

DogizXd

Reputable
Jun 8, 2016
I'll do that, thanks. So just check and make sure all cables are properly connected? Are there any concerns of hardware failure? A melted cable would suck. Let's say I ignored this problem, could it manifest into a serious issue down the road?

My GPU temps at idle/light use are 37c-42c and under load the highest I've seen it go was 76c

The CPU temps at idle/light load are 36-40c but usually closer to 36-37 and under load, I've never seen them exceed 57c.

I'm a bit neurotic and am kinda scared, reluctant to mess with the hardware now that it's assembled... I was the same way with my old PC, I built one with the intention of upgrading down the road but was too worried I'd mess it up and never upgraded.
Did you find a way to fix it? I've been having the same exact problem and it always happened randomly when i open chrome or discord.