Question my computer randomly turned off and back on.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
th screens went black, leds on keyboards and mouse went off, lights on the pc stayed on tho. then posted after a couple seconds. i have no idea why it would just do that off the top of my head. this the 2nd time its done this. it has also done something similar but it didnt try to post, and it the power button did not work. i had to hit the switch on the psu. anyone have any ideas.

Asrock A-320M -HDV
Ryzen 5 1500x
16gbs of dd4 ram gskill agesis
rtx 2060
850 watt evga psu

Last edited:
What is the EXACT model of that 800w EVGA power supply? Because I don't think I've EVER seen any EVGA 800w PSU. They are generally all 450, 550, 650, 750, 850, 1000w, etc. so if there IS one, it's got to be very old. How long have you had that PSU in service?

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
What is the EXACT model of that 800w EVGA power supply? Because I don't think I've EVER seen any EVGA 800w PSU. They are generally all 450, 550, 650, 750, 850, 1000w, etc. so if there IS one, it's got to be very old. How long have you had that PSU in service?
it was an 850, i was just doing it off memory. thank you

Ok, so WHICH 850? The G1, G2, G3, etc? It should say right on the side of the power supply. And yes, it makes a difference. A G1 is nothing near the quality or reliability of a G2, which itself is probably a pale version of a P2 or T2.

How old is it, or more accurately, how long has it been in service?

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed?

Is the memory installed in the A2 and B2 slots? If not, that can cause all sorts of weird symptoms including a failure to run in dual channel or wrong amount of memory recognized, as well as freezing and restarts in some cases. Those are the second and fourth slots from the CPU.

Have you installed ALL of the most recent drivers for chipset, storage controllers, network (LAN) adapters and audio from the motherboard product page?

If there is ANY of this that you haven't done, then you need to do THAT, and then go from there.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
sadly i cant get what version the psu is because its really difficult to get too. the psu has been used for a couple years. i will try and update the bios soon to see if its latest but i think it is. and the motherboard only has 2 slots for ram. all drivers are updated. i have had more blue screens sense adding my GPU. i went from none, to having one every once and a while. there is also not a UPS, wish i had one tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
sadly i cant get what version the psu is because its really difficult to get too.
Then get at it...you were asked this question because it's important.
If you added a new, more power hungry GPU to a low-quality PSU, then that's probably causing your problem, and it's best to know that, instead of guessing about it.
there is also not a UPS, wish i had one tho...
If only for the power line conditioning that a good quality, adequately-sized UPS provides, you really should have one. Make it a priority after you get this problem cleared-up.

I've only ever seen TWO systems where the power supply was harder to get to than simply taking off the side panel, and those are the HP Omen with it's buried proprietary power supply that you have to take half the system apart to even SEE the power supply, and any system built in a Tri-stellar case. So unless you have one of those, or some equally exotic system (Which I REALLY doubt) it shouldn't be any more difficult than taking off the side panel and reading what is on the side of the power supply on the unit itself or the product label. If that is too much work, then I don't know what to tell you.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
its getting the pc out thats the hard part, not the case. the psu is 850 BQ. i am using a power strip. also, my priority is to get a game/console collection going lol but i will try.
sadly, it really cant just be tested under normal means since this random restarts.

What do you mean by "getting the PC out"? The "PC", IS the case, as far as moving it around is concerned anyhow. And the power supply does not need to be removed from the case in order to see the side of it where the case of the power supply will say what series it is. If you take the side panel off the case, which should just be two thumb screws, you should be able to easily see the series printed on the side of the case OR the specifications decal with the model number on it.

ryley_

Honorable
May 17, 2017
Is you case in a place where your computer can breath? When is the last time you cleaned out the PSU intake and case intake and/or exhaust fans?
yea, it can breath. the fans are on the top, front, back, and below. only the sides are really blocked. and the cables made it hard to pull out to. but all i got was EVGA 850 BQ

BQ is the series. That tells us a lot actually, because that is not one of EVGA's better units. It's actually really not even a very good unit based on reviews. Has poor voltage regulation, poor transient response, low quality caps, a fan profile that stays high all the time because it creates excessive heat. Just not a good unit, especially for the price.

That being said, it's hard to say that THAT is your problem, but it's always possible with lower quality power supplies.

I'd recommend that you breadboard the whole system. This could be due to the cheap Aegis memory, memory not seated properly, anything. Eliminate everything non-essential, double check all connections and hardware, on the bench, and see what shakes out.