My computer Restarts while playing Certain games to the point that they're unplayable

Mar 9, 2018
Since last year certain games have the effect of restarting my computer on start or mid-game. Not all games do this but certain ones do namely "Secret World Legends" and I just bought on sale "Civilization 6" are unplayable. Civ 6 specifically lets me set up a game, load it to the pre-game screen, then immediately restarts when I start the actual game. I also frequently play "League of Legends" and "Stellaris" and pick up other games as well but it has only happened once that I can recall with league and never again with constant play since then. I am also not overclocking anything nor have I ever, and my GPU is up to date on its drivers. I do however seem to find absolutely impossible to install any chipset drivers as no matter which installer I use from amds support (Both the automatic and the manual installers) My IDE…. Controllers still read Standard SATA.
My relevant specs are:
CPU: Amd FX-8350 eight core
GPU: Nividia GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Chipset 990FX
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750w
Security: Norton Security

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

First off, I feel sorry for you bro that FX though... Secondly try cleaning any dust out of your PC, especially the PSU. Over time when dust builds up it can become electrically conductive, which inside a PSU can be bad. I have seen this before where starting a game can cause the system to give up since the PSU that could be shorting due to dust can't deliver enough power.

Mar 9, 2018

Thanks for the advice. I did take some time to clean it as thoroughly as I could and, while it seems to have delayed it, It hasn't stopped it from restarting. I specifically tested civ 6 which before I couldn't even get a game going. Now it lasts 5 minutes before rebooting.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

That's interesting, do you have any spare parts like another GPU or PSU you can test? Its possible one of the parts in your system is causing this.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Um, wrong post?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

yeah it seems as if its a bad PSU, since cleaning it helped but not solved it. I recommend something like a 550w or 600w from EVGA, SeaSonic, Corsair, Cooler Master, Antec, or another reputable PSU maker.

Mar 9, 2018

Unfortunately I do not :(

Mar 9, 2018

Unfortunately I do not :(

Mar 9, 2018

Why would a lower wattage PSU solve it?

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

It's not the fact of it being a lower wattage, 600w should be plenty for your system, but if your PSU is bad you'll need a new one, whether its lower or higher wattage doesn't matter as long as the PSU has enough watts and the right connectors.

Solution