Question My computer says I have 8GB of memory installed, but only 3.99 GB of it is usable. How to fix this?

Aug 14, 2022
I have tried using ms config, and even if i switch the maximum memory option off, it still doesn't work. I have also tried checking Windows Memory Diagnostic and it came back with no issues. I am using a 64 bit system and have the latest BIOS installed on my motherboard. Even in the BIOS screen, it says 4096 MB of memory. How do I fix this?

PC Specs:
CPU: Xeon X3430
Motherboard: ECS H55HM v1.0
Memory: 4x2 GB DDR3 1333 HZ

Ralston18

Titan
Are the modules from a matched kit for dual channel use? Versus two separately obtained single RAM modules.

What is the source of the 8GB memory value that the computer is reporting?

Test each module individually.

Ensure that you have used the applicable RAM slot(s) per the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Aug 14, 2022
Are the modules from a matched kit for dual channel use? Versus two separately obtained single RAM modules.

What is the source of the 8GB memory value that the computer is reporting?

Test each module individually.

Ensure that you have used the applicable RAM slot(s) per the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.
I'm using a generic unbranded kit from a seller on facebook. My motherboard only has 2 DIMM slots anyway and I'm pretty sure they both work since in the about pc section it says there are 8 GB installed. The source of the 8 GB value is from the about pc section in the settings.

I'll try testing the memory slots individually in the morning since it's pretty late already where I'm from. Thanks for the reply

Aug 3, 2022
Forgive my obvious misunderstanding, Im clearly missing something here
How can you fit 4*2GB in 2 dimm slots?
Is that a typo and you mean 2*4GB?

might be worth looking at

oh and worth a quick check what cpu-z and or what hwinfo64 say ..

You'll see something like the following for each memory slot

View: https://imgur.com/ZmkBFEe

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022
and while you got the machine shut down - take the mem out and line the memory modules up one on top of the other and slightly back - and examine the pins to ensure all the pins line up (and are pins)